Does this break the TOS?

I’m the owner of the front page game Strucid and I’m trying to grow my YT channel. I was thinking about rewarding players for subscribing to me with a free item of some kind through an automated subscription checking process (it’s not a sketchy method or anything). Does this break any parts of the TOS?

6 Likes

I think rewards through things like Youtube only apply to things like Robux and game cards.
But based on the fact that many games use Twitter codes, I think this is generally very similur so I’d believe this doesn’t break the ROBLOX TOS.

By the way, love your game, play it everyday!

2 Likes

I know you can’t reward players for liking/favoriting the game, however you can reward players for being in a group. Since subscribing is closer to being in a group, I don’t see the issue with that.

1 Like

I would say no because featured developers say at the bottom in the desc say subscribe for free codes. and i don’t really know how is that breaking the TOS.

1 Like

In an indirect sort of way Twitter codes generally presents the idea of the player following that twitter account to get the twitter code. (Even though people don’t always follow)

But since its implied, Youtube really doesn’t seem to be much different.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

As stated in the Roblox Community Rules,

“Do not create promotions offering prizes of any sort (including contests, raffles, lotteries, chain letters or any kind of giveaway). It is okay to offer players promo codes for in-game items only so long as they are not in exchange for something (e.g., in exchange for a thumb up on your game).”

Some pointed out above that games will often put text like this in their description or social links:

49%20PM 03%20PM

However, it’s one thing to say, “Hey, follow us on Twitter for updates and in-game codes!” with a link to your Twitter (which people could just see anyways without following the account), it’s another thing to directly reward players with codes for subscribing to your channel.

5 Likes

Oh. Well that rule made it explicitly clear. Well too bad, but hey @PhoenixSigns I’m subscribed anyway :slight_smile:

Is it just me, or does that rule seem a little strange?
The whole point of promo codes (look at ecommerce sites) is the basis of “exchange systems.”
Let’s look at an e-commerce site:

1. Provide email
  2. Receive promo code
  3. Company gets a new lead

I don’t see how the following flow would someway harm the system

1. Subscriber on Youtube
  2. User gets in-game asset
  3. Developer gets a new subscriber

It’s not like the user is paying for anything, he’s just hitting a button? If something goes wrong or he doesn’t like it, he can just hit unsubscribe.

3 Likes

I do not know wether or not this is against the Roblox ToS, but to play it safe, do something like this: five people who subscribe get access to a specific part of Strucid.

Demonstration

The five subscribers will be able to walk through a special door, giving a reward, only the subscribers though!

This is definitely something that should be researched.

I think you’ll be fine doing so. MM2 has a system when you buy merchandise from them (3rd-party) you get a special knife.

No. I do not advise risking it.

As rbzx showed in his post,
The rule clearly states

“Do not create promotions offering prizes of any sort (including contests, raffles, lotteries, chain letters or any kind of giveaway). It is okay to offer players promo codes for in-game items only so long as they are not in exchange for something (e.g., in exchange for a thumb up on your game).”

If they can get away with this, which is awarding in-game items for making a real-life purchase, I believe that you can get away with subscriber rewards.

What method are you/plan to use? It can completely change the situation.

I doubt that people who subscribe to your channel, and in return, being rewarded a free item is against TOS

Nah, it’s not really against the TOS, If roblox have it as a choice to be on your profile, I doubt that will get you banned. By the way love the game Strucid!

1 Like

The difference I see with Twitter is that you don’t have to follow them to look at the code and redeem it.

However, with directly subscribing to get a code, you’re giving them something in return for them giving something to you. That may be against the T.O.S stated.

2 Likes

Yeah and for Strucid, subscribing does not require you to spend a single dollar nor does it take away any profits from Roblox.

1 Like

True… But I don’t see why this is still being debated. The community rules clearly state any reward is against the rule.

But of course,

I have been subscribed to your Youtube Channel :slight_smile:
yes. ik i seem like a fan boy. but im just a fan lmao
strucid is lit

1 Like

Hmm…

You know, you may not be able to reward for subscribing but maybe you can do something a little different.

Put cool reward codes in your video.

Sure its not as great as a subscriber, but hey at least your views increase. Rn unless your super strucid fans like me, most people don’t have a reason to watch your channel. They just want to play the game

But the second you offer codes for watching your videos, I am sure thousands of your strucid players will rush to watch it. And if you make the video right and good, you may there in video encourage them to subscribe.

3 Likes

The issue with that is that other content creators can steal your code and promote it in their videos. So essentially, I’m helping them more than I’m helping myself.

2 Likes