Does unioning parts help reduce lag?

Hello! I have been unioning parts for a while now and was wondering if it helps reduce lag. In some games with 10k parts or more, lower end devices will tend to have more severe lag, but does unioning a lot of parts help reduce that lag?

Examples: Unioning a model of 10 parts to 1 “part” or union. All ten parts have the same properties, just different sizes and positions.

Edit: I know using meshes are better, and I do use them, however in some cases unioning is a lot easier.

5 Likes

This is not the case, mainly due to unions storing extra properties, data and there being issues where the unioning creates more tris due to errors, it becomes a less reliable method to reduce part count on top of volatile hitboxes (mainly talking about the hull option for collisions here). Overall, it doesn’t reduce lag and can do the opposite, create more lag and issues.

Generally unions are a big headache for me to work with, if I need a specific shape I can’t make in studio I can always do in blender.

9 Likes

What @Solar_Wraith said is correct, unions do in fact cause more lag. Try to avoid unions as much as possible. If you want to reduce part counts, try to remove unseen parts, and remove/relocate unused assets/areas.

3 Likes

Just keep in mind… Only use unions when necessary. Don’t just union everything in the game just because it combines all the parts into one.

1 Like

Yeah, using meshes would be the better option to stay away from lag. Although, yes, it does take a lot more time to make a mesh in Blender or whatever, it is more beneficial in the long run.

2 Likes