Donating Gamepasses

As a Roblox player but that’s not how you start it!!, it is currently impossible to allow people to gift gamepasses and paid access. Dev products and clothing I don’t really care about.

Reasons I think this is a good idea

• It facilitates the giving of birthday and christmas presents, that type of stuff, via Robux
  • It allows people who might otherwise not be able to play paid access games to play them if say their elder brother or friend is willing to pay for them (assuming they don’t have BC or w/e and so can’t sell a shirt. Even with a shirt there is a tax)
  • Just gives more ways for devs to earn money, and potentially market the game by offering bonuses to a player if they give someone something else. (This could also attract people to the platform more readily if their friends offered to buy them stuff)

I guess there might be an argument is this allows richer players (in terms of R$) to fund poorer ones, thereby reducing the desire of the poorer players to buy R$. I am unsure how sound this is, so if anyone wanted to develop it further or debunk it or what ever, please do so!

135 Likes

I think a better description would be gifting gamepasses but either way I think this is a cool idea.

Also, when I think of donating gamepasses I think of devs having the ability to gift a gamepass to players for free which would be cool and could be used for events and stuff where a dev could give out a gamepass to the winner of some contest they have for their game.

17 Likes

Changed, thanks

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted an official donation/gifting system

I have friends on roblox, I have family on roblox, I have some extra robux/maybe I just want to give them gamepasses on my own game, or on our favorite game to play together?

currently I have to buy a tshirt or give them group funds, and that adds an extra step that isn’t needed for gamepasses etc

9 Likes

I can see this benefiting ROBLOX. It would help ROBLOX in their goal of being more of a “social” platform as it would encourage players to invite friends to play. My only problem is, how many people would actually use this feature? Definitely a cool idea to consider, but I think ROBLOX has other things that they should be working on in my opinion… like implementing the “Future Is Bright” Hack Week Project by @zeuxcg :wink:

5 Likes

You are aware that the lighting team is seperate from the web team, right ?

@OP
I like this idea. As a developer I also wish to give players a free gamepass. Sure I can already achieve this by using my own system, but it would be nice also for other players to give eachother a gamepass for my game. (For example a younger newphew that doesn’t has the money but still loves to play my game :stuck_out_tongue: ) + double income for me, so who am I to complain.

5 Likes

It is also annoying to have tax on the t-shirt sale and this isn’t always possible if you’re donating to a NBC user

1 Like

What is Gifting Gamepass Feature?
It is an feature that allows any player on Roblox to be able to gift an any player an gamepass.

How It would work?
When you are on any game page, you will go to “store” tab, and then you will click “Buy”, and then when you get into gamepass description page, you will click three dots (meaning more options) and one of the options will be “Gift Item”.

When you click “Gift Item”, some sort of pop-up like this will pop-up and require player to enter player’s name, that the gamepass should be gifted to.

However, owner of the game would be able to do it for free without getting charged.

Why this feature would be good?

• It would allow players to gift gamepasses to their friends as birthday gift, christmas gift, giveaway reward, or for any other reason.

• It would allow developers to make giveaways for their players, but since they are owners of the game and gamepass along with it, then they can do it for free. Which would make sense.

• It would allow video stars / youtubers to gift gamepasses to their fans, and make it more easier for them to do so, since rightnow, they are using Group Founds or Robux Cards and they need extra information and afford from other player to join for example an Group or contact them on third-party service to contact them. But with Gift Gamepass feature it would take 1 minute, and you need only username of the player. Easier, faster and little bit less Robux scams.

• It could expand possibilities on Roblox.

What do you need to be able to use this feature?
If you are owner of gamepass (meaning game), nothing. If you are just an player, you need enough Robux to be able to pay for gamepass.

Why this feature shouldn’t be only for Roblox premium users?
You don’t earn on this feature, this feature should be free for all players, everyone should have right to send an nice gift to somebody.

Should Roblox add transaction fee?
I honestly think, that would be bad idea, for players. us to pay additional Robux.

Could be used as scam?
No, I don’t think so. If you gift someone an gamepass, it’s over, you did it, and you can’t undo it. Pretty much no.

What if Player gifted to wrong player by accident?
After clicking “Gift”, it will display players profile with
a picture, that you gifting to, and asking to confirm, that so the player you gifting is the correct one.

Will Roblox earn less?
Roblox will earn the same amount of money, like before this feature. You will still pay full price for the gamepass, but you gonna gift the gamepass to other player. So basicly Roblox doesn’t lose anything from this feature. It may even increase earnings for Roblox, since more people will use this feature, which can mean more money for Roblox.

What if that Player has already that gamepass?
Roblox will display you an pop-up saying that user has already that gamepass and that you didn’t got charged for it.

Do you agree with this idea, if you do then why? What would be positive outcome from this feature?

106 Likes

I think this would be a fantastic way for video stars to gift game-passes to their fans. Would make it way easier than the current method which is giving out Robux card codes so that they can buy the game-pass themselves. All we’d need is their username instead of external ways to contact such as Discord.

32 Likes

Very good idea, support this 100%

16 Likes

I would also like to state that this could make development for teams easier! This would mean the whole team wouldn’t have to individually buy the game pass because the game owner could give it to them for free!

10 Likes

To expand on the last point, it would make easier to gift passes to people who are willing to officially test your game, without making them pay for those items.

1 Like

Bumping this topic, would really love this to be a feature. Developers have had to resort to implementing their own gamepass gift systems, which is frankly just annoying having to duplicate dev products then update prices whenever you change them which effectively just doubles the work load. It’d be beneficial to all creators if it was simply built in as a universal solution.

1 Like

Bump, great idea.

thirtycharracterssssss

3 Likes