Don't run Studio and Player over update

Reproduction Steps

With almost any version update -Studio and Player stop running.
Windows 10 x64

Expected Behavior

Expect normal start Studio and Player

Actual Behavior

Normal update (when Studio starts) and… they don’t start again until you check the box to run with administrator rights again

Workaround

Changing Shortcuts to Studo and Player to Run as Administrator

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2022-01-01 00:01:00 (+03:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-06-16 00:06:00 (+03:00)

8 Likes

Roblox Player and Roblox Studio loads normally for me.

2 Likes

Happens the same to me. Not a big deal but its kind of annoying to do these steps everytime roblox studio updates.

It looks like you may have installed Studio / the player at some point as an administrator. If you uninstall them both and then install them again normally, without running the installer as an admin, then it should be resolved. Make sure these are getting installed to AppData/Local/Roblox and not Program Files.

6 Likes

Why does the installer let you do this in the first place? It’s also strange that it just on the fly decides to install somewhere completely different on this difference. Surely there’s a way to prevent this, or at least stop install and tell the user to do it properly.

2 Likes

Mostly for installation in schools and other partners with nuanced setup requirements. There is a desire to make this more explicit, but it’s just not been a big priority due to how infrequently issues arise.

5 Likes

Firstly, I am the administrator and, in principle, the only user.
Secondly - as far as I remember, the installer does not ask me what and where to install, but simply installs what it wants and where it wants.

Is your install in Program Files or Local/AppData?

1 Like

Программа для запуска находится здесь:

C:\Users\GAVsi\AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions

Isn’t this a duplicate of the following bug report below:

The yellow/blue icon on the executable in that screenshot implies that Windows is elevating the installer to be run as an administrator through UAC, which would cause problems since Roblox is installed under the local user. Do you get a UAC prompt when clicking RobloxStudioLauncherBeta?

Нет. Никакого запроса я не получаю. Я и есть администратор со всеми правами, а UAC у меня отключен.

No. I don’t receive any request. I am an administrator with all rights, and UAC is disabled for me.

Да, похоже что это та же самая проблема.

Yes, it looks like it’s the same problem.

Hey everyone, I think this should be fixed, but I wanted to circle back. Is anyone still having issues?

This problem has not arisen in recent months.