Don't select item under mouse in object browser until mouse moves

When inserting an object from the “Insert Object” list, it will automatically select whatever item is under the mouse. This is bad UX, when I have a folder selected and type “mod” into the list and press enter it should always insert a module script and not whatever is under the mouse at least until the mouse has been moved

13 Likes

It’s giving you a list of items that fit your search, just because 1 is at the top doesn’t mean it should be the automatic choice. When you type ‘mod’ there are many items available. How can it guess which one you want?

The mouse position is the most efficient, just double click with the mouse on the item you want and it’ll be inserted.

1 Like

You’re missing the point. Moving hand from keyboard to mouse is slow and bad UX. Shouldn’t have to do that to use the search feature with the keyboard only without accidentally changing the selection due to incidental mouse position.

This issue has messed me up countless times. Want this to be changed.

Yes, but if you type mod into the search list and their are multiple items that are available, why not type modu into search?
What are you doing next that you don’t use your mouse for? I do this all the time and honestly it isn’t causing me any issues since as soon as I’ve added something by clicking with my mouse I’m using my mouse next anyway to select an item.