Double Jump & Gliding Mechanics - How can I connect them smoothly?

I’m making a 3D Platformer and I’d like to have both a double jump mechanic and a gliding mechanic. I’ve tested both working separately and together, but I’m just not sure what to do.

Here's double jumping without gliding:

Here's gliding without double jumping:

Here's my mix of them together: (mixed feelings)

I’d like the best of both worlds, vertical and horizontal movement. Also, I don’t think a dash mechanic in any direction would fit my game.

I’m thinking of the UX of this. It has to work on keyboard, controllers, and touch-based input. Making this easier, I’ve based this on the jump button. And, I don’t think adding another button for touch-based input players would be a good idea. (I already have a sprinting and digging mechanic with dedicated buttons.)

So…
How can I connect my double jumping and gliding mechanics with good UX?

2 Likes

Have the double jump activated on release of the spacebar if they don’t hold it for long, if they hold for longer than a certain threshold then just start gliding :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I feel like that would be more complex from a player standpoint and a code standpoint than the solution I just came up with.

I’ve decided to go with a triple jumping system:

• [spacebar] → jump
  • [spacebar] + [spacebar] → double jump
  • [spacebar] + [spacebar] + [spacebar] → glide

I feel as though the solution above fits what I’m after.
Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.