Dragger QoL Improvements [Beta]

Can’t INPUT number values in Rotation, scale and transform! Only in “MOVE”.
Fix please

Unsure what I am doing wrong here, but my models/parts refuse to snap to surfaces. This happens with the beta on and off, but I noticed that the beta feature’s keybind display says I can hold alt to align with the surface, yet it doesn’t want to. No idea why this is happening!

Edit: It appears this was due to me having the align to world option disabled in the right click navigation menu. I do still think that this is an inconsistency with what is displayed.

Big bugfix update today, fixed most of the known remaining bugs.

• Snapping to Terrain has been restored. Give it a spin and let us know if you’re happy with the behavior we picked.

• Added some performance failsafes. If the snapping code runs into too much expensive geometry it will bail out of finding additional snaps instead of causing noticeable lag.

• Dragging a MeshPart by a particular face will no longer cause it to sometimes disappear.

• Handles can be summoned to CanQuery = false parts.

• MeshParts with beveled or curved edges should snap to grid better when dragged.

• You can scale selections consisting only of Bones / Attachments.

• …and more minor changes.

2 Likes

Here’s an odd issue I ran into - which I hope no one has reported before.

As reported a couple messages earlier I cannot currently input a number into the input field for the ‘resize’ tool because it disappears immediately after resizing. I thought I could instead be clever and use the ‘snapping’ behavior to help uniformly scale a MeshPart to the right size.

In the video below I create a space of exactly 6 studs high and then resize the object within that space so that its height becomes exactly 6 studs. What I’ve noticed however is that when you resize the Model which the MeshPart is inside of, it will never snap to exactly 6 studs. If you resize the MeshPart however it will snap correctly. I don’t know the exact cause, but it may be related to the pivot offset of the Model. Resetting it to 0, 0, 0 seems to prevents the Model from overshooting the 6-stud target.

2 Likes

I cannot use draggers in testing mode.

1. Pressing F5, testing mode loads.
  2. Press 1, 2, 3, etc. to move things around, it doesn’t work.
  3. Trying to manually click the buttons, same thing, not working.
    If I get an annoying response “This is to prevent accidental activation when testing”, I swear to god I am going to be more than infuriated. That’s literally what pressing “CTRL” is for.
1 Like

That’s related to this beta feature: Improvements to Play Solo load-time [Beta]

TL;DR: They’re not being loaded to speed up the testing loop. There will be an option to re-enable them in the case where you do need them at the cost of slower load time.

Thank god.
As for the performance benefit, I would honestly believe it’s nominal especially for powerful computers.

Got a fix in for this, will ship next week.

What’s going on is that it doesn’t handle rounded surfaces that well. It tries to find the point on the object to snap along the axis, and with round surfaces that point mostly but doesn’t exactly coincide with the point which defines the bounding box extent:

As a fix I’m making it snap the extent calculation exactly to the bounding box if it ends up very close to the bounding box.

1 Like

These are all wonderful changes. I’m not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread or if there is even a solution, but can I somehow change my Tab key back to summoning the handles below the mouse rather than to part edges? It was really useful for resizing large parts, but now its basically useless to me that it doesn’t do that anymore.

The “Soft Snap Margin Multiplier” setting configures how aggressively the pivot gets snapped to the edges of parts. If you set it to zero it will always summon to exactly the cursor position with no snapping.

Though you probably just want to tweak it to a lower non-zero value so you still get some snapping when sufficiently close to an edge.

2 Likes

Update March 20th: We’ve rolled the beta out to 5% of Studio users by default to get some fresh feedback from developers who haven’t tried it out yet.

2 Likes

Really useful and saves me so much unnecessary trouble, thank you so much for this!

How do I turn this off

1 Like

The “Selection → Show Snap Targets” setting disables it, though I would recommend giving it shot before turning it off.

I haven’t tried it much, but it has performance issues compared to the old one on already laggy places I work on, I will disable the renderings (after the selection box update, it already takes a while (freeze) to select hundreds of trees, so I want to keep it smooth.)

After trying it on another place, I have observed a delay between when I start holding the model and when it starts to move. The position changes between the two, even at the same location, which makes it very frustrating for me.
It actually keeps its position, but after holding for a while unlike the older on which kept it instantly. A way to skip the wait and not change the position will be really helpful.

Other than this annoying delay, I appreciated the value showing when resizing.
Thank you for your understanding.

I got this update the other day, and I have to say… I absolutely HATE it.

Why did the Shift to scale uniformly have to change to the Alt key :sob:

Could you elaborate on what you don’t like? Is it just the change in scale uniformly key?

The shift key changed to build consistency between the tools. Yes it’s a change you’ll have to get used to, but being able to use the same muscle memory for toggling snapping with all three tools will be beneficial in the long run.

Can we get a quick way to completely disable all snapping features? Even if I hold shift, or turn off snapping manually in the toolbar, the dragger will snap to certain points on geometry. So it seems to be impossible for me to move objects precisely around these geometry snap points unless I go into settings and set the snapping multiplier to 0. But that’s a bit cumbersome, I would prefer having a shortcut for this, maybe alt?

1 Like

By quick you mean quicker than the Studio settings?

Soft Snap Margin Multiplier = 0 will disable all soft snapping and setting Max Soft Snaps = 0 will disable it just for Move/Scale but not free dragging.

Yeah, a hotkey while using the handles or a togglable toolbar button or something like that.

1 Like