Dragger QoL Improvements [Beta]

By quick you mean quicker than the Studio settings?

Soft Snap Margin Multiplier = 0 will disable all soft snapping and setting Max Soft Snaps = 0 will disable it just for Move/Scale but not free dragging.

Yeah, a hotkey while using the handles or a togglable toolbar button or something like that.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s the same problem, but when I pressed Shift, my objects were still snapping to every 5 units, even though I had “move” unticked in the Model tab. I thought that might be the problem, because the value I had in there was 5. So what I had to do to fix this problem, was setting that value to something like 0.0001, and then untick it again since it turns itself on when changing the value.
Shift now disables snapping as intended!
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 14.15.37

This update is the update that I’ve ever wanted! Thanks for the dragging improvement update! There’s just a few bugs in the dragging system, but after all; its pretty awesome! :+1:

I’ve never had any problems with this before, but now it’s doing this? I’ve restarted studio several times and it’s still happening.

See this, update your plugins: Introducing the StudioSelectable Collision Group

Thank you, I should’ve checked those first.

We’re nearing the end of the beta period. There’s one more thing we need to make a decision on before we roll this out fully: What to do with soft snapping + snapping toggle.

What do you think of something like this:

• There’s an additional toggle in the UI for soft snapping.
  • Holding Shift disables all snapping entirely rather than picking between soft snapping and grid snapping.
  • If both grid and soft snapping are enabled at once, soft snapping takes priority (if there is a soft snap nearby it uses that instead of snapping to the grid).

Upside:

• More flexibility since you can have soft snapping and grid snapping enabled at the same time
  • Possible to quickly disable snapping entirely when you want precise placement. Not having this is a problem a lot of devs have highlighted with the current beta behavior.

Downside:

• The natural setup is to have both enabled by default for first time users which could create a rather cluttered snap.
  • No longer possible to enable snapping by holding shift. Shift always = disable all snapping.

Thoughts? @Zomebody @YasuYoshida @TheCrypticRunner @ChipioIndustries

4 Likes

Hard to say - this all looks good to me on paper but it seems like the kind of thing I’d need to try out in practice to get the feel for.

I do like having all of the snapping toggles in that one UI panel so it’s easy to select your exact desired behavior even if it winds up being not particularly intuitive to use the keyboard shortcuts.

1 Like

Sounds fine from what I understand.

From a quick glance this sounds like a good approach. So far I’ve only been using the soft snapping in some specific scenarios so I won’t be missing the option to enable it by holding shift.

I remember on first start there was onboarding for the Dragger QoL Improvements beta which showed you the new features and how to use them, could that happen here? I’m not sure if that’s good UX but it would definitely help with getting existing users oriented with the new features.

I still really dislike the change of controls with Shift not scaling uniformly, but it seems to work fine generally and I might get used to using Alt for uniform scaling. It’d be great to have a way to change control schemes though, since this affects years of muscle memory.

It’s unlikely that we’ll change it back to Shift, the value of having Shift do the same thing between all the tools is fairly high.

Alternatively, do you think you would prefer the other keys swapped with Ctrl = “Scale Uniformily” and Alt = “Scale from Center”?

I feel like this control scheme is good enough, I think changing the function of Ctrl would mess up muscle memory further.

I’m unsure if this is exactly related to the dragger improvements, but I figured I’d take a shot here.

I’m seeming to get resizing lag lately on random parts? I’ve actually had this happen for maybe two weeks now but now my workflow actually requires working in Studio as I’m blocking things out. I’m unsure how to replicate, as it can happen on any part.

Do keep in mind this occurs on any increment, even no increment.

I’m blocking out this new storefront for my game, and every part of it stutters on resize. I can spawn a fresh part, and even that will lag on resize. As soon as I go to an already made part of the map, there seems to be no stutter on resizing.

I noticed this about two weeks ago, when I was working on another build in my game, except it only happened to a few parts that already existed in the game. It’s like it picks and chooses what stutters.

Here’s a video without increment enabled for better reference, do keep in mind there’s a Studio save at around :07, but the lag is still visible.

It could have something to do with the soft snapping amount, could you check the setting in Studio Settings > Selection and see if turning it down helps?

1 Like

Unfortunately this didn’t do much for the issue.

I’m starting to think this goes beyond the dragger, as I disabled the QOL improvements and it still occurs, so I’ll probably just push for a bug fix post.

For posterity the issue was a layered clothing accessory parented as a descendant of the workspace with only folders inbetween. You should always put one of these in a containing model if it’s not going to be part of a character model.

Having a layered clothing accessory without a containing model effectively ends up treating the entire workspace as a humanoid character model, which when you resize part of a character model… that’s not great for perf.

1 Like