Dragger QoL Improvements Enabled by Default

It would be amazing if the dragger framework this uses was mirrored on a GitHub repo (with all the RobloxScriptSecurity jank pulled out).

These tools are amazing and having it all in a single framework means its only a few steps away from plugins being able to utilise it as well.

I’m pretty sure someone’s already done this but there’s no documentation how to use it so /shrug

3 Likes

If nothing else I will be providing a zip of the updated DraggerFramework source here once the beta and flagging are removed. Long term it would be nice to have the DraggerFramework developed open source but I don’t know if that’s in the cards.

8 Likes

numbers on the ruler (aka when u hover) may be cool

Like at the end of it or smth

9 Likes

I suggested this earlier, it would be nice if it showed it similar to how the distance and degrees are shown when moving or rotating objects

4 Likes

These are all pretty sweet changes overall. One complaint i have is for an issue that had been present with the built in draggers (issue older than these new QoL improvements). The issue being the fact that sometimes decimals may just magically appear within the position coords of instances whenever im moving them. This issue will occur with any increments regardless and seems to happen randomly when trying to move anything.

I also have an idea for a new feature. What if instead of moving a large group of parts you could instead opt to move a general shape of the entire group? Specifically there should be some sort of keybind that would let you switch between interacting with the actual group of parts and a singular shape representing the general shape of the group. Selecting to control the shape representing the group should let you way more quickly actually move/scale the batch of parts without having studio freeze every frame trying to update each part individually. When youre done dragging/scaling that shape, the actual batch of parts should simply just snap or scale to the new position/scale of the actual shape you had just dragged/rescaled.

3 Likes

I’ve been pushing this off as long as possible, because I have severe pet peeves with anything that destroys my workflow. I’m scared for the end of the month. When I saw it today, I again immediately turned it off. The projects I’m working on are too big to immediately start considering changes for myself.

Must say though, this may be scary, but it’s not nearly as scary as the new Studio UI. Oh, god…

8 Likes

The only thing that I actually like about this is the ruler, everything else will and was already getting in the way when I tried to use it

6 Likes

I know people will complain about the changes. But yall need to realize that you can change how it looks and works in the studio settings.

Calling me out :sob:

8 Likes

I’ve been on the platform for 15 years and my approach to rotating / tilting things was to violently spam R and T until I got it right. This whole time. There was zero understanding. These animations are a godsend. Turn it off if it doesn’t work for you, but you should try it first for a while.

8 Likes

I don’t mean to sound rude, but if all you do is achieved through 90 degree turns, you’re certainly not on the same planet of development as most.
There is no way you’ve gone 15 years without noticing or using the rotation tool which allows rotation rates beyond 90? Or even using plugins and in-experience tools that also do the same?
There is no need for animations through these tools because by using the rotation tool you are dragging your mouse in the direction you want, therefore an animation is not necessary to know what direction you’re rotating anyway…

3 Likes

You should not have to “just adjust” to the new hotkey, it should rather be customizable to be able to use Alt for Uniform scaling along with all the other changes. They should simply be toggleable, especially for the people who do not use these new features / would prefer to keep it how it’s been. I use Uniform scaling 99% of the time when modeling and having to all of a sudden adjust to a different key for that is somewhat frustrating as its been this way for years.

The platform should be very customizable for developers.

11 Likes

In no universe did I ever say I never use the rotation tool. You’re making up a strawman so you can talk down to me and I don’t appreciate it. You are simply not using your imagination if you cannot think of a single situation where you would want to rotate or tilt something 90 degrees without fussing between multiple tools. Knowing which way it’s turning is just less error and less mental effort. This is a basic piece of every creator’s toolkit and has been for nearly two decades. The off setting is made for you.

12 Likes

i dont like how you cant select the move tools with ctrl+1-4 anymore and you have to ONLY press 1-4, since most other controls (duplicating, grouping, etc) requires holding control. itd be easier if you had both the 1-4 AND ctrl+1-4 controls so you could use whichever you want

3 Likes

These are actually bindable shortcuts, if you prefer them with Ctrl you can change them back to that in “Customize Shortcuts”.

2 Likes

Hey I like the new studio UI. :sunglasses: The toolbar isn’t so crowded now.

2 Likes

I think the default should be Ctrl + 1,2,3,4 etc. It makes more sense for it to be the default because as @Mayorfoxia82 said other functions related to manipulating objects use the Ctrl key by default.

3 Likes

There seems to be an issue when dragging models when the pivot point is offset. Seems like the direction the pivot point is relative to the axis you attempt to drag the model in affects how the snapping behavior happens.

This also seems to stop happening if you disable “Use Bounding Box Move Handles” in studio selection settings

Speaking of bounding box handles, is there any way to move the rotation handles to the bounding box as well, at least using a hold-down hotkey to temporarily move it to the bounding box? There may be cases where its unfavorable to rotate a model around its pivot.

And while I’m at it, when will multiple part resizing in a singular direction be supported? Currently if you select multiple parts and attempt to resize them, it scales that part in all directions instead of the direction you are actually attempting to scale them to. There are countless scenarios where this would be extremely useful and many tool plugins utilize this feature but I believe this should be a default built-in feature since many people prefer to use the default studio tools. Is there any particular reason that this is currently not supported?

7 Likes

What happened to all the keybinds? I’m trying to move/reshape/position models and my muscle memory is completely fried.

6 Likes

I want to do this at some point but it’s really delicate to get in: It can’t be too easy to accidentally get into that mode because for new users who aren’t paying attention to what orientation parts are in it is extremely confusing if their parts suddenly start resizing in a seemingly random direction.

2 Likes

There is nothing worse for my use case than removing the Quick Access Toolbar, which has already been confirmed. The QAT is the only way I work.

I have been developing since 2010. This is the Studio I am used to. When the Ribbon Bar first came out, I spent about two years using pirated copies of update-frozen Studio so that I didn’t have to update. One day, my life was saved, because I learned about the QAT and that Studio could be rearranged to essentially resemble that of the original “System Menu” design. I only open the Ribbon Bar tabs temporarily if I need an added tool from it, or a plugin.

This new design would absolutely destroy my workflow, and I fear the chances of needing to abandon the platform altogether if it is implemented. I have been working the same UI for 14+ years and it has never been an issue. Roblox was even smart enough to give us that QAT option (my fault I didn’t learn about it sooner) to mimic the previous Studio.

We need the option to mimic what I am showing in my photo. I don’t want to leave this platform, but if my workflow is forced to crumble, I will have no choice.

7 Likes