Dragger QoL Improvements Enabled by Default

finally someone who agrees with me instead of being an npc and saying “These new changes are amazing!”, i don’t want my development to be severely slowed down until i get used to these changes.

10 Likes

Is this true though? If I were a new user and I selected multiple parts, I think the last thing I would expect to happen is have all parts scale in every direction, sure if parts don’t share the same orientation it might be startling at first, but I don’t think it would be any less expected than the current behavior. At the bare minimum you could scale parts that don’t share each others orientation to scale in the nearest direction of the first or last part you selected, and having uniform scaling bound to holding the alt key only makes it relevant when selecting a singular base part since everything else (selecting multiple parts or models) uses this behavior by default.

Either way, if this is something that is planned sometime in the future is encouraging!

3 Likes

I already had something for this typed, but it was deleted midway through so I’ll summarize my thoughts about it.

I’ve been putting off using this, alongside the “next-gen UI” as it disrupts my workflow (e.g. holding shift while building to get precise adjustments now disables snapping). Additions like these make me question if I want to use this program if such additions keep getting approved of and forced upon everyone

I wonder, most of all, why aren’t these additions optional? They can be enabled by default for new users while seasoned developers can disable it and I see no problem in doing so.

5 Likes

I heavily agree with this, when I first saw the new draggers, I didn’t like them at all, seemed like a total downgrade for me, instantly disabled them. It was weird when they were suddenly reenabled for me. Also, I never knew they were making new UI until now. This new UI looks weird.
Would be great if these were kept as optional Beta features.

3 Likes

They re-enabled to let you know that they’ll be forced soon enough and to give you time to prepare for that. Got any specific feedback?

Maintaining two or more substantially different versions of Studio features would not be viable engineering wise. Having some timeline for complete transition is necessary to enable development to move forwards.

Also, many of the additions are optional, but only where it’s possible to cleanly disable the feature without impacting the rest of the functionality. There’s just some things that aren’t as viable to individually toggle. The shortcut interaction design has to be cohesive. For example: We only figure the grid + part snapping setup works well because of the presence of a disable snapping shortcut. Add more shortcuts into the mix and it becomes very hard to design future tools if a bunch of Studio users have a weird mix-and-match set of interactions chosen that we would have to try to figure out how to respect.

If you want complete unchanging UX for the tools you work with, there is always the option of using a set of community building tools such as F3X or SBS.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Didn’t know it’d be difficult managing two separate studio versions.
Tried out the new draggers and it actually felt good, didn’t try them out until now.

Some of the things I like about the new Draggers:

• It shows how much you’ve moved the part, plus the fact that you can adjust it manually too!
  • Being able to drag something without it aligning its rotation when dragging it over a slanted surface is very useful!
  • The little ruler thing that shows up when you hover/drag is pretty cool.
  • The part aligning stuff is also pretty useful.
  • Being able to drag something by its center is great!

The scale uniformly key being changed from shift feels odd, but I’ll get used to it eventually.
Shame the older one is going though, but this is definitely better by a long mile.

i kinda feel like this should’ve been tested more before release, the scaling tool is so broken. If you try to undo and/or redo sometimes it’ll just destroy the model, so u have to scale it back yourself

but there are many good features like showing the measurements, things like that, but the scaling feature is pretty bugged

Edit: Found out it’s just a beta feature u can disable for now, but the scaling tool is still broken

9 Likes

This feels way more difficult for anyone and especially newer users to understand where there even selecting. When I first saw this today I thought it was broken. Also if you think this is the worse change just look at how bad advertising and how brief game recommendations are now. I hope this gets toggleable or it will be very difficult…

4 Likes

i second this since its a pain to get used to alt instead of using shift

4 Likes

Is there a way to disable the ruler or whatever it’s called? I don’t like to see some random white lines everywere. I find it very useless.

You’re kidding right? Make this a option bruh! I don’t want no extra new UX and UI and stuff.

5 Likes

it would be cool if there was a hotkey to rotate the dragging face towards the face selected face

1 Like

It would be cool if there was a hotkey to undo this hole update.

5 Likes

I personally do not like any of this, and i think it should be fully toggleable.

9 Likes

Few notes

Transform Tool, or at least the 'dragging an object along the world axis without resetting its rotation is gone. It was broken at times but it was extremely useful when maneuvering props or when you want to quickly align objects to a specific grid.

No option for the dragger or resize tool to ONLY show or set to currently assigned increment. Currently it ‘respectfully’ shows possible increments that you might move to but they’re only useful for specific situations and mainly interferes when building on the grid, or when building objects on their own grid when rotated / offset from the world axis. If the tooling wants to show all possible and logical snap points then let us control what is visible through togglable settings like AutoCAD.

Moving objects on meshes is now near impossible unless the mesh was made in a uniform way. Even in simple shapes such as corner circles or beveled bricks now become insufferable when moving or moving objects on-top of.

For now I’m going to swap back to the old-tooling, I already had a chat with (someone) at this years RDC but I wasn’t expecting the tooling to come out so soon. If we had the option to swap between Old and New tooling without the Roblox need of ‘just replace it’ then we wouldn’t have an issue. We already have the tech for Geometric and Physical tool modes so why not have Classic and Modern?

2 Likes

Please please PLEASE add a toggle for this. I’m not a fan of it at all and would love to stick with the old ones that I have used for the past 5 years.

9 Likes

Roblox makes a new update that makes the engine better.
The community: pls let me disable it I like the older, classic, and worse version.

What’s wrong with modern UI and better transform tools? Now moving stuff is less of a cursor pain, going up in the top bar and back again all the time.

I wish we could do it only with keys like in Blender, without the gizmos. Also, ALT+G, +R, and +S to reset position, rotation, and scale (respectively) would be cool and make everything faster.

3 Likes

The plugins that achieve the behaviour you mentioned I really dislike to use just because of how unpolished they are compared to studios tools, especially with their lack of scaling for part size or colour-coding for different axis. I’d really appreciate if Roblox fixed multi-part scaling and moving, or at the very least made this functionality the default and the current functionality a toggle via a keybind.

1 Like

I also requested for a toggle for this. They are certainly very useful, but get in the way when you do not need them!

There is a studio setting for the ruler, but I’d prefer if it was in the ribbon and or a keybind.

I didn’t turn off the bata feature. Roblox turned it on.

This would be a fine update if I could just remap the Shift/scale uniform tool to this new shortcut. I’m going to be using one of the options far far far more than the other new shortcut that took its place.

Shift/scale uniform has been the way it has been for years, so to change that, and then tell us to adjust is very eh by even by roblox standards, although that seems to be the route the platform is going in general.

I see the admin of this page responds frequently, so if the problem is that it can’t be remapped by us for roblox limitations, why not just remap it from the engine/studio point of view? Instead of replacing a several year old short cut for a brand new one we can’t fix ourselves, why not flip it. Everyone is going to be a lot more happy that way and accepting of this new (and nice) tool so far.

I see zero reasons why that can’t be the case so far, because pressing ALT feels like a better toggle on/off button than needing to hold shift to scale something or hold it to turn something on/off.

Again, this is a fine update I think, the only other thing I can ask for is the ability to make the box that display the distance or degrees smaller, since screen space is the most limited out of all of the possible 3D Game engines possible as is.

Nothing is as bad as the space the material and smooth terrain UI/tabs demand now, at least, so cheers on that!

(Post edit) Setting the 'Move" amount to 0 (free) or ticking that true/false box on/off for moving by studs should also automatically disable the snap to feature in this update. You should not have to hold down something to disable that on top of using 0 studs by default, it should just be off. If 0 studs is “free” and it doesn’t snap to a grid, neither should this new dragger improvement. Hoping this already a thing and I just need to explore more and find said tool or box/toggle.

((Post edit 2)) Replying to myself in the edit above, I believe the option below move in the ribbon does what I wanted so far.

3 Likes