Dragger QoL Improvements Enabled by Default

Yes, the beta feature was turned on by default, hence this announcement’s title “…Enabled by Default”
There is still a studio setting to disable the rulers, and you should use this instead of disabling the beta feature because beta features are not beta forever.

For whatever reason Studio updates sometimes reset the values of specific studio settings. Go into studio settings and change your camera speed to what you had it before.

Edit: I seem to have noticed I’ve also had my camera speed start being blazing fast, yet the setting remains unchanged. It seems like the fps for Roblox Studio has been increased, and the camera speed is clearly linked to that.
Roblox should immediately look into de-linking camera speed from fps.

Great update .Thanks team.

This makes it much easier to understand the visual space of the part and other objects in Workspace

Yes you can. Doing that with a part also means you need to create the new part first, move it next to the distance you’re trying to gauge, then rescale it. If you don’t like that being done for you for whatever reason turn it off but “it could always be done” is an awful argument when it was more tedious.

1 Like

You want the ruler gone? File > Studio Settings > Selection > Dragger Visualisations > Show Hover Rule > Uncheck.
Here’s an image guide as well:

Please stop being uncivil and dramatic here. If you have genuine criticisms of this QoL update, specify them and how you think they could be fixed!

4 Likes

if you don’t have feedback other than that you don’t like it, ya probably don’t need to say anything

2 Likes

Disappointed you didn’t listen to the overwhelming feedback and are still just as stubborn as usual. I thought this garbage would be fixed by now.

The ability to disable the UI (yellow line, yellow bubble for example), customizing snapping behavior to only disable parts of it, and the ability to rebind keys is still missing, and that’s core functionality, not to mention the other glaring issues.

3 Likes

The only real issue I have with this is that you can’t fully disable the UI. But that’s something you’re absolutely aware of now - the poll says that a majority of people don’t really want that.

Outside of that, good update imo. Though it’s pretty funny how you need to access the settings menu that’s been nearly unchanged for a decade in order to disable things for this modern 2024 update. Are there any plans to modernize that menu that you’re aware of?

Some of these changes are useful but after using them a bit more many of them I find annoying or not particularly useful and not enough have the ability to be toggled off.

Here’s a couple of things I think could be improved so far:

• Functions like Ruler and Numerical Display should have easier to access toggles right on the GUI (similar to how bounding boxes or Join Surfaces works), or perhaps even a keybind considering how context-dependent they are; locking these features behind such an inconvenient menu hampers their utility in my opinion
  • All or most elements that don’t already have visual settings (i.e. the white lines for moving and scaling things, the yellow dot/line for dragging) should have a checkbox and/or sizing options so they can be disabled for those who do not want/need them
  • The “Snap to Parts” option causes regardless of whether it’s enabled to disabled; when enabled, the snapping when using the move tool or especially the resize tool can cause extremely annoying refusal of a part to snap to the global grid and function properly, but when disabled, dragging becomes practically useless as dragged parts do not snap to the grid at all.

Overall, some these changes aren’t that bad and a couple of them I do find useful, but I very seriously hope these suggestions and those of others in this thread are taken into account, as various aspects of this are extremely frustrating and in fact highly detrimental to QoL.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the new keybinds don’t play very nice with terrain tools.

you press one of the hotkeys and it rapidly goes from on tool to another.

1 Like

I am one of those people that liked this. However, can the measurements be displayed? I think hinting is cool and I totally see why people would prefer that over the others but, I like being exact and counting segments is a little bit annoying imo.

Doesn’t even have to be all that complicated: numbers on each side where the line is, units can follow whatever is selected in studio.

Great work!

FYI — if you want people to listen to you, it does you no favors to make them annoyed before they read what you wrote.

1 Like
  1. You removed “Del” hotkey. What a stupid idea to remove such keybind. (Solved later with changing shortcut - still stupid idea)
  2. The label near handles which shows how much you moved handle has several bugs and bad things:
    2.1. Vertical Y handle is pain to deselect after to me - attempt to deselect via muscle memory results in me clicking on that text box of measurement to start typing.
    2.2. If you rotate or move camera, and your cursor will hit input box, it will follow your camera anywhere instead of being anchored to handle.

2.3. That input box experiences same flaws as other GUI things - if it’s center goes off screen, it will dissapear entirely (until center is visible again). I hope this thing will give you motivation to fix gui clipping issues, but I don’t think so - canvas groups are solution, even if it works worse.
  3. Yellow ruler is bombarding me when I drag part. Like, I know over what I’m dragging - spawn blocks, which are invisible, but ruler makes dragging uncomfortable due to constant jumps and flickers over air…

I have disabled everything possible.

1 Like

Could you elaborate? The delete action has nothing to do with the draggers and shouldn’t have changed in any way as part of this.

Wow, neat bug. Somehow I never ran into this myself and nobody else reported it, I wonder if it used to work but I broke it with some of the more recent changes :thinking: . Regardless, that one should be easy to fix, thanks for the report.

I’m surprised you even noticed that. I could add extra code to prevent this but didn’t think it mattered at all. It’s not that hard to avoid, maybe I’ll add the extra code now.

After update “del” keybind just got removed and I had need to set it back.
I have no idea why this got changed though, spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out, and when it were working in script editor but not in viewport/explorer, I understood that shortcut got erased.

I can’t reproduce this on my test machines, and don’t see anything in the code that would break it. For now I’ll chalk it up to cosmic rays hitting your machine wrong but I’ll keep an eye out for other reports.

Long story short the Delete shortcut should not have changed.

1 Like

As you drag a part in one Axis you can write down the number in the box, setting the exactly number you want.
BUT in the other things like rotation you can’t do it. Can you guys make it possible too?

Please allow us to hide it entirely. It wasn’t on my screen before, I don’t need it now. It just adds to screen clutter. It’s actually very distracting, I saw it looks like you can change the color but that’s not enough. It really bothers that it is forced on.

1 Like

I personally really wish that this update wouldn’t be “eventually rolled out to everyone”.

I like to animate, a lot. and this current QOL update has broken a few specific keybinds / functions I use for moon animator. (pressing 1 key to go to the beginning of your animation, pressing 2 to collapse / expand all animation instances, and probably a few more I am unaware of.)
The reason it is broken, from what I see is because the select, move, rotate, and etc tools, are changed from the original CTRL + (number here), to just pressing the number. so these new keybinds on the ROBLOX studio are overriding my ability to use these keys for moon animator functions

For now, I’m definitely disabling this beta feature so I can continue my animation works, but please. Have some sort of keybinding options for these tools because it genuinely gets in my way for efficient animating pace.

1 Like

There are keybindings, 1/2/3/4 are just the default. If you clear these shortcuts in File -> Advanced -> Customize Shortcuts then MoonAnimator will continue to work like it did before.

1 Like