Dragger QoL Improvements Enabled by Default

To be honest roblox will only listen to the people who are glazing their udates. Like if I would have asked in the most respectfull way possible to add a toggle for the ruler and whatever they would still prob won’t add it.

I really liked everything in this dragger update, But I believe there should be ways to customize the numeric measurement (Transparency and size) since it is a helpful tool, but in some situations, it can make visualizing the object you are dragging very dificult

1 Like

I am pretty sure you can do that in studio settings.

Edit: I though you were talking about color customization. I got things mixed up.

If there is, I am not aware of it. I can only find a option to disable it

1 Like

Believe it or not, product managers (and engineers) do sort through basically the entirety of the feedback left in DevForum announcement threads. As long as you clearly communicate why something is a problem for you, it’ll get considered, writing it in a poor tone just makes it unpleasant to read and everyone loses.

8 Likes

Honestly, its been saving me time with the automatic snapping when scaling/moving, which i really like! Before, i had to use a plugin to get the same results, where the extra seconds quickly pile up.

The only downsides i’ve noticed are that it sometimes feels like it detects things to snap to randomly. I can try to align a part with another right next to it, but instead have to use the plugin again because it suddenly doesn’t detect it as a snapping point for some reason. Its a little bit annoying, when it’ll detect something further away from the part as a valid snapping point instead. I cant seem to get the behavior consistently, which is why i think its random.

Another annoyance is that it seems to be MUCH laggier, as in when i move more than 10 parts at once, it lags a lot. My computer is pretty good and previously had no issue moving hundreds of parts at once, so i don’t think this is an issue with my specs.

Useful update in my opinion, even if i have to get use to it :slight_smile: Like other people say less nicely, it could probably have been introduced a bit differently, but a lot of people dislike change so its not always received well, no matter how you do it :person_shrugging:

In what mode / way? The perf-expensive things the draggers do have remained mostly the same so I wouldn’t expect a noticeable difference. Follow-the-cursor dragging or axis Moving / Scaling? Bigger hitch at the start or frame drops as you move?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I wish I knew about this keybinding stuff sooner ^,^
I can continue animating alongside this new update now!

How do I disable the axis lines when I’m dragging? I don’t see any option to get rid of them in the selection menu.

1 Like

With a majority of the votes asking for no extra UX, will there be a way to fully disable this feature? As much as I love seeing new updates added for workflow, updates like these come out of nowhere feel very forced.

2 Likes

This update is quite interesting, I liked the idea and the proposal but there was not a good execution and it looked somehow like something from the Kogama editor, here are some of my points:

• The decision to put the hotkeys from “Ctrl + n” to just “n” was not good, I had a lot of problems with my fingers accidentally pressing some number key and changing everything I was doing, while as much as the old one wasn’t faster, it wasn’t something you would do on purpose and it’s just one more key. And even if its better for new users to understand, i dont think a new user would try to search and use all the hotkeys they have on their keyboard, theywould probably find this by accident.

• I really liked the Numeric Measure, but the ruler that is selected for all the parts that my cursor passes over I don’t like and I find it very annoying even, disturbing the view and having no use.

• The dragging UX and the animations of moving and rotating the part, as mentioned earlier in comments, are also not very practical and I prefer it to be disabled by default mainly so that new users can have better impressions.

Btw a "funny" story i had ig:

I use a low-end computer with almost 9 years old and it unfortunately is not being able to run much on Roblox, so I was doing my build and accidentally moved the model that contained my invisible barriers, but I didn’t notice, a while passed and only then I realized and tried to give ctrl + z but it couldn’t reverse what I did, I thought about just reverting the place to a version from an hour ago, but when I tried to enter the Roblox website I overloaded my computer and it froze. I had to restart it, which took about 30 minutes to enter the site and revert the place, spending those 30 minutes on nothing basically, but that’s more my fault tbh.

I can adapt to this update like almost all updates that builders receive, but I prefer that it is not added, especially the ruler.

Also something not releated with the post:

Btw if a roblox staff is reading this maybe yall should consider trying to do a optimization of the future lighting and maybe the undefinied one too. Im tired of calling someone to help me just because mine PC cant run at 21 graphics without using most percent of my gpu.

this is actualy quite good:) but will this cause any issues if enabled the new gen UI plus this feature?

Old Dragger (expected behavior):

New Dragger (unwanted behavior):

Note: Align Dragged Objects was turned off for both cases above

ObjectA is the object being dragged and ObjectB is the object being dragged onto. Both objects are irregularly shaped. ObjectA uses it’s bounding box to collide with ObjectB, however, ObjectB doesn’t use its bounding box and instead uses its mesh normals as its collision. When “Align Dragged Objects” is turned off it causes ObjectA to float off when colliding with ObjectB. If “Align Dragged Objects” is turned on it seems to work as intended. Hope that made sense?

At this point after calming down and extensively testing this I’m pretty convinced this is a bug. It seems like this was overlooked when using the new dragger with irregularly shaped meshes. An easy fix to this could be to make the dragger use the bounding box as collision for both ObjectA and ObjectB when “Align Dragged Objects” is disabled. If this is intended then there should be a toggle for this.

Since dragging is using the Object’s collision fidelity, the current band-aid and hacky fix is to set all the object’s collision to “Box”. This perfectly replicates the Old Dragger behavior with “Align Dragged Objects” turned off. Hopefully this gets fixed prior to release so we don’t have to do this.

2 Likes

Love this change, though one thing that doesn’t seem to be working is the number textbox when rotating or scaling something. When I use the move tool, after releasing left click I am able to edit the textbox to fine tune it but am unable to do so when using rotate or scale.

I’ve been using this for a few days now, and the UX improvement has been incredible! It’s been so useful to me, that I’d like to ask – are there any plans to extend the snapping functionality for rotation as well? I’ve the following parts:

They need to be centered in-between the two path walls, and retain the same rotation. It’s very tedious to do this manually, as I’d have to figure out the distance between each two paths and center them accordinglyy. The align tool widget doesn’t help much here either :stuck_out_tongue:

When i was axis moving, i think i had about 24 or so small objects i was moving at once. It constantly dropped to around 10 fps for me when actively moving it, which got quite annoying. Might be something to do with the snapping stuff possibly?

1 Like

I’m having trouble building with the new reference lines or whatever this is called. There’s no option to turn it off apparently

The big white lines are the “Join Surfaces” UI. If you toggle off the “Join Surfaces” checkbox you shouldn’t see them (though surface joints also won’t be created).

How does that particular case look with the beta turned off? I’m surprised the lines show up so prominently, I don’t think I changed the behavior of them.

It was Join Surfaces! I disabled the beta to see how it looks with it turned off and it’s the same. I’ve never seen these kind of lines before even with the Join Surface turned on so that’s why i was lost. Thank you anyway, back to creating!

I don’t think you can, sadly.

1 Like