Dynamic Skies Are Getting Cloudy

Sad thing about the clouds beta is that we cant still go above the clouds but i do understand its in the beta though, patience will always be the key.

The way it seems with clouds releases we probs will be able to go above clouds in December ish time - I personally think so. I mean it could be quicker depending on how much time Roblox put into it. Ig u could argue they might release phase 1c before the end of the year if they keep working on it.

facts

1 Like

Really love how they look, thanks! (Yes, first thing i did is make pink clouds because priorities)

5 Likes

Clouds actually do look like this in the real sky, if you look closely.

2 Likes

Yeah I know, but in this case, it just looks kind of odd/weird

3 Likes

We’ve got a quick update to share!

We are making it easier to add Clouds to any place with a full release of Dynamic Skies Phase 1 into production for use everywhere (as well as in Studio). The upcoming release will be staged on desktop first, with mobile support enabled shortly afterwards.

There may be a little time between when the Beta option in Studio is removed and when Clouds can be accessed as a regular feature in Studio and Client.

The release is currently planned for the 9th of July, but it may happen a little sooner (or a little later). We’ll share an update shortly before this happens so you can plan your releases that may be using this feature.

Clouds objects can be placed anywhere in Studio for replication, etc., but are displayed only when they exist under the Workspace/Terrain object. This makes is clear and easy to manage Clouds properties before they get rendered. In future, when we add the feature to fly into and above clouds, it makes sense to keep them neatly in the world with the Terrain object (as opposed under Lighting, which as we know is more for backdrop and environment uses).

In addition to the updating the realistic shapes of clouds with Cover and Density controls, we also added the following properties to the Clouds object:

• Enabled [on/off] when Clouds are under the Terrain object, this simply shows or hides the Clouds.
  • Color [RGB] this controls the Clouds particles material color (tint it orange for a smoky scene or turn it a strange color for an alien world gas, etc.)

Release Forecast

Next up, we will be doing some quick updates to the Sky and Atmosphere objects.

Then, there will be a major Phase 2 Beta and additional releases which will enable: Cloud Types, Wind Properties, and updates to Sun / Moon Celestial Objects. Not forgetting an addition of under water Atmosphere and more advanced lighting to get even better sunsets, add more shadowy volume to clouds, and have the materials lit accurately in the world when clouds are present!

We look forward to seeing places using this feature and adding to all the great feedback you’ve shared during the beta. Please continue to share your feedback and report any issues so we can continue to improve the feature even more.

116 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been really hyped to see this update come to life. However, I have some concerns:

• In your post, you mentioned changes within the Sun/Moon celestial objects. What kind of changes are you talking about?

• Also, are you planning on adding weather elements or cloud depth in future phases? I’m really excited to see how this update turns out.

18 Likes

This is awesome, great to see this.

2 Likes

My excitement for clouds cannot be understated. I apologize if I’ve missed it, but has there been any announcements about clouds being 3D enough to fly through or over? Everything I’ve seen so far has them at a locked height that fades away when you reach it.

26 Likes

That was my initial point. Clouds are just cosmetic for now and have no depth whatsoever, making them entirely decorational. Games like Jailbreak would use 3d clouds for better mechanic implementation. Hopefully Roblox will address this issue and improve future phases, aiming for a more realistic enviroment.

1 Like

As I believe they had mentioned in the initial announcement
I’m super glad they revamped the clouds before they released them fully as they look 10000x better than when they were displayed before. They have a nice fluff to them.

This is looking great to see. What are the estimated release date of Phase 2?

It appears I can’t get the updated clouds instance to work.
Have the Clouds FFlags changed or were there more added in the past 16 or 17 hours?

Even with all the FFlags for it enabled it still renders and displays properties for the old clouds.

Just leave clouds MVP on. I think the other settings are useless. I did that and it worked fine.

This is really good news for me. I’ve been holding back several projects as these were not of certain release dates, however with this rough estimate, I can safely time my updates. Great change!

I think it could be with how light reacts with clouds.

4 Likes

I would love if we could edit the height the clouds are at. Sorry if I missed this somewhere else in the post, but I think it would be a neat addition to be able to have either really low clouds or really high clouds, especially when you can eventually go through them!

4 Likes

It will be probably be in phase 2 or 3, or both. It’s just my guess. not confirmed too

1 Like

Quick question: Are you referring to ground fog?

I think that confirms it - could be wrong. @ProfessorKJM could you confirm this?

2 Likes

In the future, will be there an option to place clouds at the bottom of the skybox? My game currently uses a skybox to give a feeling like the map is located above the clouds.

I wanted to enable this feature for my game but currently you can’t place clouds at the bottom of the skybox as far as i am aware.

21 Likes