Dynamic Smoke looks horrible

I have been making some dynamic smoke, and I’ve gotten to a point where the dynamic part itself is working, now I am having the issue of the entire thing looking really bad and not convincing as actual smoke. I am struggling since I need it to look good, but I also can’t make particles too big since they bleed through walls, Example:
As you can see, it currently bleeds through the wall and doesn’t look all that good anyway. Any guidance on what to do here with textures, lighting, or whatever is helpful, Thanks in advance.

Just for reference, I have been going for something like this with the smoke style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5QrVTyM7e0

2 Likes

I’d recommend making the particles slightly more transparent and maybe slightly adjusting the color to more of a grey tone. In the video, the smoke looked a lot more misty while still looking like smoke, and I’m assuming that’s the main part you’re trying to replicate. I’d also try it out with a few different decal textures to see if a different look may help.

However, I do think it looks very good! I believe it’s a very good start. :]

Why not just make the wall… wider…?

Mainly because im going to use it in a more detailed area, and the walls are thin there

Well, if you haven’t tried Note’s advice (or it didn’t help) then you could do this;
You could try making a buffer zone around the particle part, like an offset, so that the actual particle part doesn’t get too close to an object causing that bleeding through wall effect?

I’m going to try both of these togethers since they should both help a lot

Edit: the transparency totally helps and the buffer works so it looks somewhat presentable now

Sorry for posting again here, but I am struggling to find a good texture for this and was wondering if anybody knew where I could find a set of textures that would work

I suggest either of these:

rbxassetid://11724306977

rbxassetid://11724309239

Here’s what they look like in order:
Screenshot 2024-03-07 190106

ok thanks, these will probably work

Edit: those don’t work they need to be transparent

1 Like

If you set the LightEmission to one, it removes the black background. Afterwards, turning the LightInfluence down should make it not be as bright.

Oh, I see how that achieves the misty effect, thank you

Edit: this is probably the last issue, but having these all clumped together means that they are very bright, especially with a high density. Any fixes for this?

Edit 2: I found a free transparent texture, played around with the settings, and I think I am finally satisfied with the look:
The mist was the main issue with the original, and I think that this solves the issue and also fits i’m going to use it for

1 Like

It looks amazing! Great job :]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.