Easing Direction Is Flipped When Playing Animation

Intro

When I was done with making the climbing into the cannon animation for my game, I published the animation to Roblox and played the animation on the client for the cutscene. After reviewing the animation something seemed off. At first I couldn’t tell what had changed about the animation, but then I noticed that the Easing Direction was flipped. It was playing the In direction instead of the Out. I had tried changing them to In and then back to Out, publishing the animation again and seeing it was still flipped. I had tried uploading it as a new animation but that didn’t work either.

Animation in Studio with the Animation Edtior (Direction Out)

Animation in Studio running from the script (Direction Out)

Temporary Solution

So after finding out the direction was flipped, I tried setting the Easing Direction to In instead of Out. To my surprise, it actually ran the animation the right way around when running the game.

Animation in Studio with the Animation Edtior (Direction In)

Animation in Studio running from the script (Direction In)

Demonstration Experience

Here is an uncopylocked place you can check out to see this bug for yourself. You can press the 3 dots in the top right of the experience and press “Try in studio” to copy it. The animation itself will not run in studio because it will only work if you’re the owner of the animation however, you can press play on the place and see it run. There is a local copy of the animation in the ServerStorage and you should be able to see the animation by clicking the rig while the animation editor is open. If you want you can publish that animation for yourself and replace the Animation Id in the script.

Studio version: Version 0.637.0.6370729 (64bit)
Animation ID: 18946123272 [ Asset ]

Thank you for taking your time to read this bug report! :slight_smile:

Expected behavior

I expected the easing direction to be the same as it was in the animation editor.

1 Like

This issue as old as the beginnings of time. Here’s the main bug report regarding this from 4 years ago: Animation cubic easing direction reversed

HOW HAVE THEY NOT FIXED IT YET :sob:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I’ll close this one now.