Easy way to make my game look better?

I’m trying to make my game look better, no one wants to play a game that looks like this

No matter how long I spend on making the map I can’t get it to look good.

Heres the link to the game:

8 Likes

Can you link the game and/or add more images? It is hard to figure out the design of your game with just one picture.

To be fair it may not just be the game, could be ads as a example. With most starting places ads are good places to start to boost that player count up. The build looks basic but it depends on the levels of server side/client scripting behind the game and how many players you wish to have.

As the image shows you have gone for a Roman coliseum type of feel, this could be updated with pillers, or more proficient colours and brick types to make things stand out. Add props around as such. Just look at photos/pictures or study films that show sword fighting coliseums e.g. Gladiator the film would be a start.

The skybox looks quite like the Roblox made sword fighting game, given this skybox is quite tacky and in some cases old. I would go for a new approach by playing around with skyboxs or sky features, adding in sun rays and playing with the lighting.

However Overall I like what your going for, and I like to see where this goes!

2 Likes

Based purely off the photo the first thing you could do is just add more in general to the map. It looks extremely bland and empty which is why it probably isn’t attracting people to play.

You could also try add more colours and materials for it to look a little less boring. Moreover sometimes using the roblox terrain helps (you could always use the part to terrain plugin)

However usually it’s more than just about the map it could be about the gameplay itself and whether it has good player retention (whether people want to play it again) and that could be down to whether it’s fun or not.

Add seats, fences, things on the ground suck as dead grass, wood etc. Maybe lights, blood idk.

In terms of building, theres not much for the eye to glance at and rather looks boring. You could easily add arches to this colosseum along with rows of seats and supporting arches for each internal ring, seen here:

Architectural depictions

2 Likes

I think you’re mainly lacking in knowledge. You don’t know what to add because you don’t have any references to base it off.

If you research what you’re building, such in this case, a Roman Gladiator styled Arena, you’ll find in Google Images lots of references that I think would really add to the sense and feel of your place.

As has been mentioned, the basics would be seating, fences, but the craftsmen who made the real life versions had intricate designs running throughout the builds, great arches, flags and ribbons denoting the empire, etc.

You can tell stories through builds like this - as mentioned with flags and ribbons - who owns this place, what era - spatters of blood or damage on the walls and floors, heavy combat. etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gladiator+arena&rlz=1C1ASUM_enGB851GB851&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=UAilYTcPNmv1DM%3A%2CQbvQh-aunw3pnM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTox9H9zfjvb2hnuy9T5jg4JkzsVQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdsKLe-6rjAhWR8uAKHR7QC7IQ9QEwAXoECAYQBg#imgrc=UOTw46Sz5_LiRM:&vet=1

1 Like

1 - Detail
2 - Variation

Since a map like that is split into segments that are visually similar, I would recommend focusing on making just a single segment look really good and finished before you rotate it around to create the full circle. After that, you can edit areas so that it’s not all the same.

If you look at this image, you’ll see the bottom layer of wall is mostly the same thing. Using that base as a start, you can then build up in areas to add variety. Take the two high walls on the side for example, or the entrance in the middle.

4 Likes

The arena needs more detail and diversity. It’s just repeated parts 360 degrees around the player.

I highly recommend looking at arena concepts on google images, you can add some wood beams, ruined walls, gates, seats, chairs, emperor’s platform, pillars, etc. The list goes on and on.

Aside from detail, color is important as well. Consider using different shades of the same color to supplement the structure.

1 Like

The problem with your map is that it’s extremely bland. Needs more detail, material, color, and effort.

Decoration and lighting will make it look better, as well as a better terrain.

Currently your game is called Clash of Champions
I bring this to your attention as this arena doesn’t look very majestic right now, and your colour scheme looks quite bland with a less than perfect use of materials.

You should try and build something into the style of the reference that @fourpapa1 provided. Ultimately, you should think about that the name of your game communicates to you, and build your map around what you think an arena for champions to duel in would look like.

Pits of lava, large majestic stands, ruins, plenty of fire and fine details come into my head. It should catch the attention of the player if this map is the first thing they see. Instantly they should get a rush of excitement looking at your map.

Hey there!

Here are my tips to make the game look better and overall realistic:

• I would definitely try using textures for your arena
  • Use shadow map Lighting
  • Make it a sunset time
  • Use a nicer looking sky.
  • Use SunRays, and use the Bloom effect.
  • Use a ColorCorrection to make it look
  • Maybe instead of the sand material use the terrain sand.
  • Add bits of rock using the terrain editor
  • Make the spectating area a bit bigger.

These are some examples of how you can make your game look like. I recommend you look more onto the aspect of textures and lighting, and a bit of terrain work.

This is a good example of the sort of textures you could possibly use for your game, It will really get that realistic vibe to it.

Those are my main tips to making your game look way more realistic, and in my opinion better. I really hope this helped you, and if not I hope I can make it up to you.

-histo_rical

3 Likes

Something that helps me with building is looking at similar builds or real life places or objects for a reference. Here is an example I can come up with based off of your arena.

Now if you are going for a more fictional/fantasy type of vibe or feeling then you can make it more creative and add more things. Here is another example for you.

This one is more futuristic but you can see how many detail there is. You can also add small detail such as rubble. I hope this helped you out. Good luck improving your arena!