Edit: Bookmarks cause large threads to take an abnormally long time to load

Edit: It looks like this issue is related to bookmarks. I had bookmarked the OP of the “What are you working on currently” thread, and removing this bookmark fixed the issue for me.

It seems like this thread (What are you working on currently? (2020) - #4959 by playdohsnake) is taking an abnormally long time for me to load on any device compared to other threads, sometimes taking upwards of a few minutes to load, or even failing to load completely.

Is anyone else getting this issue for this thread in particular? Granted, my internet situation isn’t the best at the moment, but I wonder if the sheer scale of this thread is slowing it down, either on the end of downloading information (which seems odd, since Discourse should request replies on a thread dynamically), or at the end of the endpoint which fetches this information.

All other threads, including this thread with 1000+ responses where people tend to post lots of images (Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta - #1130 by cunpliy), seems to load fairly quickly for me.

2 Likes

It loads instantly, granted I have a really good Pc and Wifi.

Ah, so I wasn’t the only one. I bet it has to do with the fact that I’ve bookmarked at least 100 posts on that thread alone.

My wifi isn’t the best either, but speeds are fine in other mega-threads. But WAYWOCs from before 2020 load as normal, so it definitely isn’t with the amount of images/videos.

EDIT: Perhaps it’s only specific to 2020’s WAYWOC…? I’ve just checked other mega-threads with tons of bookmarks, and they load fine as well. How peculiar…

1 Like

I haven’t bookmarked any posts on that thread personally, although I’ve liked a lot of posts there. I’ve also liked a lot of posts on the “Future is bright” thread/past WAYWOCs as well though, so I don’t know if this is the root cause of the issue.

1 Like

It seems to load relatively fast. I think M_caw is right, since I just literally bookmarked a few and it took longer to load. Hmmm.

1 Like

Oh, nevermind, looks like I had bookmarked the very first post on the thread.

After removing this bookmark, the thread is loading instantly for me every time.

So it looks like this might not have to do with the number of bookmarks, but rather the number of posts on the thread after you have bookmarked any post on that thread.

2 Likes

I second this. After clearing all bookmarks using the icon at the bottom of the thread, WAYWOC 2020 now loads as normal. Perhaps reporting this to Discourse would be a good idea.

I’ve created a topic on it here…

…Hopefully it gets some attention.

It did, in fact, get Jeff Atwood’s attention :eyes:

2 Likes