Edit bubble chat font, colors, etc?

How do I edit the bubblechat in my game like change the color or the font? An example is the bubble chat in Meepcity, which uses the cartoon font.
I tried looking into the chat scripts and on the roblox wiki and I couldn’t find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 Likes

I’m not specifically familiar with MeepCity’s chat implementation, but they could have actually scripted a custom chat system. That could allow them to use specialized fonts.
(I haven’t tested any of this, it’s purely speculation.)

You will need to go into the default chat scripts, you can do this by clicking the play button in studio and copying the chat scripts in from the explorer the pasting them back into the chat when you are out of the play mode. This isn’t the only way to change the bubble chat.
Here is the link to the wiki page about chat: https://developer.roblox.com/articles/Lua-Chat-System

3 Likes

However, keep in mind that this method means that you’ll be required to update the scripts/refork and edit if Roblox updates them.

1 Like

Inside the “BubbleChat” local script which is in the Chat Service. There’s lines of code you can change that will change the BubbleChat font.

--[[ SCRIPT VARIABLES ]]
local CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT = Enum.Font.SourceSans
local CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT_SIZE = Enum.FontSize.Size24 -- if you change CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT_SIZE_INT please change this to match
local CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT_SIZE_INT = 24 -- if you change CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT_SIZE please change this to match
local CHAT_BUBBLE_LINE_HEIGHT = CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT_SIZE_INT + 10
local CHAT_BUBBLE_TAIL_HEIGHT = 14
local CHAT_BUBBLE_WIDTH_PADDING = 30
local CHAT_BUBBLE_FADE_SPEED = 1.5

The line you’re gonna want to change is the CHAT_BUBBLE_FONT to any enum of font you wish.

21 Likes

Don’t forget when you fork the local script to enable InsertDefaultModules so you get all relevant updates to the other scripts.

4 Likes