Editing multiple parts with the same name (lights etc)

Hello!

I am currently trying to finish up a script that simply controls a set of streetlights to come on during the night then turn of during the day. I currently have it mostly working however I have a few places where two light parts have to exist alongside one another but when the script runs only the lights inside one of those parts gets enabled and the other remains disabled if I try naming one LightPart and one LightPart2 i get the error LightPart2 is not a valid member of model.

script being used

while true do
	wait(5)
if game.Lighting:GetMinutesAfterMidnight() > 16 * 60 then ------ Change 16 to any number you wish (16 = 4:00PM)
		for i, v in pairs(game.Workspace.Streetlights:GetChildren()) do
		if v.Name == "Streetlight" then
			v.LightPartThing.Material = "Neon"
			v.LightPartThing.SpotLight.Enabled = true
		else 
				print("nothing")
			end
		end
	elseif game.lighting:GetMinutesAfterMidnight() > 8 * 60 then ------ Change 8 to any number you wish (8 = 8:00AM)
		for i, v in pairs(game.Workspace.Streetlights:GetChildren()) do
			if v.Name == "Streetlight" then
				v.LightPartThing.Material = "SmoothPlastic"
				v.LightPartThing.SpotLight.Enabled = false

end
		end
	end
end

The above is how everything is layed out but as mentioned above only one SpotLight will actually get enabled the other will get ignored.

Thank you!

1 Like

Just to add the actual script that controls all the above is located in ServerScriptService

1 Like

Because of this layout, you need a more complex function that can call itself (is recursive). It should be initially called on Streetlights, it should loop over each child: if the child is a Model or Folder, the same function should be called on that; otherwise, if it is a LightPartThing, do your intended changes then return.

1 Like

Curious what type of object are your spotllights in? I don’t recognize that symbol. You should be able to access them if you changed one of their names. You stated above you called it LightPart2 but in your script you are calling things LightPartThing so just make sure the names and the parts are correct. If you rename one of them you can also use FindFirstChild instead of the dot.

1 Like

You need to go through the children of each Streetlight model and handle for each LightPartThing rather than for one per model. Instead of cycling through the child twice, I will use GetDescendants to check for any parts named LightPartThing.

Also, you can condense the wait(5) and the while true do into one line (and use task.wait not wait, it’s better). Additionally, you should use ipairs for this case not pairs.

One last nitpick, it’s better to call a service once at the start than to call it over and over.

local Lighting = game:GetService'Lighting'
while task.wait(5) do
    if Lighting:GetMinutesAfterMidnight() > 16 * 60 then ------ Change 16 to any number you wish (16 = 4:00PM)
        for i, v in ipairs(workspace.Streetlights:GetDescendants()) do
            if v.Name == "LightPartThing" then
                v.Material = "Neon"
                v.SpotLight.Enabled = true
            end
        end
    elseif Lighting:GetMinutesAfterMidnight() > 8 * 60 then ------ Change 8 to any number you wish (8 = 8:00AM)
        for i, v in ipairs(workspace.Streetlights:GetDescendants()) do
            if v.Name == "LightPartThing" then
                v.Material = "SmoothPlastic"
                v.SpotLight.Enabled = false
            end
        end
    end
end
2 Likes

this worked perfectly thank you

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.