[Effect] v1.1 Lightning Beams: Seamless, smooth and procedurally animated with beam-like properties

You could make some really nice lighting effects, Thanks for sharing to everyone.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this with us! Wow, how long did it took to you to do this, my head hurts only if I think about the math behind…

4 Likes

That spherical lightning beam is so awesome! Thanks for this fantastic module.

3 Likes

Pretty view, I might have a use for this to create some exciting effects with it.
Great release. :+1:

5 Likes

This looks amazing! I’ll be using it in my game I am creating now, thanks for sharing!

Edit: Question, I am using the lightning explosion when you click on the map but I can only fire it from the client which means it only shows the explosion for the player deploying it, when I tried to fire on the server, it doesn’t show at all and when I check the server side the explosion are just sitting where they were deployed all glitchy.

Anyway I can get it so that everyone sees the explosion?

1 Like

This is only a client-sided module as the server stuff shouldn’t be too difficult to setup from there. You’ll have to fire a remote event which relays the information of create lightning explosion at position x to all clients on the server so that it can create the effect on all those clients.

Also, for everyone currently using this module, I’m working on a far-better looking and more performant version (v2) which uses mesh skinning with part pooling options so that this can be used in more quantity as well as have more quality.

14 Likes

Ok that makes sense, thank you!

Can’t wait to see the next version as well, really cool stuff!

3 Likes

will it be more understandable for builders that dont understand scripts to change it?

2 Likes

Would you be able to give a repro file for the lightning strike video?

Yeah, this would be really helpful if you could provide it @Quasiduck .
Other than that, this is super amazing!

6 Likes

I was just about to suggest using mesh skinning and a part cache. Creating large amount of parts is very tedious, I had to setup a part cache for certain guns that had busted fire rates in my game to prevent the drop in frames.
Edit: excited to see v2 and the performance boosts!

2 Likes

Amazing module! However, it only works when I run it in studio. It doesn’t work when I play test it or go in game. How do I fix this?

2 Likes

sorry but how do i make it so every one can see cus when i create it in the server side it can only be seen in the server i dont get it

Edit: it works now MoonlightAnim is right u just go inside the module and change the parent toa folder inside workspace :smiley: btw nice module

2 Likes

Graphical effects like this should be run from the client, not from the server. You can set up the module on the client and then have the server broadcast wherever effects need to happen, then pick that event up client-side and invoke the module with that.

25 Likes

The spark module doesn’t seem to be working, on the first test place with 1 beam. I’ve tried playing around with the properties, to no avail.

1 Like

Are you talking about the explosion?

1 Like

No, I’m talking about the module titled “LightningSparks.”

1 Like

This is phenomenal. I’ve seen a lot of fancy creations in my days here, and most of the time I get a “Hey that’s cool”, or for the good stuff I go “Damn that’s awesome”. This is one of the very few that has made me flat out yell from the visual style.

Outstanding work. I plan to adapt this for my own games, likely mixing in PartCache to improve performance of the part-based lightning (at least, until you finish the release of V2, and assuming it’s even necessary - I’ve yet to view the code). The fact that you have open sourced this module is something I greatly respect, and I look forward to seeing your future work.

8 Likes

This module is great, I’ve been using it in a few games here and there and it has come in extremely handy, thanks.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same lol, I’ve never seen this before

4 Likes

Really love this! Just looking for an easier to use version! My head hurts from the math… ;(

1 Like