Elttob Relight — laser-fast light painting

Thank you so much!

I can look into making this behaviour optional.

That is also a good idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is awesome! Currently I don’t have a use for it but do you think Light support (like a spot light) will be added sometime in the future?

1 Like

I’m currently in the process of sketching out designs for it! Nothing to announce anytime soon - so I wouldn’t buy this on the expectation that it’ll be updated next week or whatever - but it is absolutely on my radar. Expect some unexpected features is all I’ll say for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright sick! I’ve been keeping up with your tweets and videos and I love the work you’re doing :+1:

1 Like

The issue with the Ctrl+5 keybind has been addressed in the latest release; once the change goes live, the Shadow keybind should restore normal functionality.

Thank you for your patience!

1 Like

20$ for some fancy UI and math for transforming mouse/camera/raycast data to 2 lighting properties in a few different ways is absolutely insane. Any competent developer can write this in a day for themselves.

I understand that you’re trying to profit off your work, but this is not something I would ever see myself buying, and would recommend anyone considering buying this that isn’t swimming in money to consider alternatives. (Or just wait for someone to download the source and repost it for free lol)

6 Likes

Alright, you don’t want to buy it, that’s fine. But you’ve got to remember that some younger and newer developers might not know or understand how to make a utility like this.

Many others want to support other developers who work for days or even weeks from planning to publishing a plugin for them. And, if someone reposted it for free then Elttob would file a DMCA claim against them like he did with GitHub.

Elttob’s also entitled to profit off of this utility, he’s a developer just like us.

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, but a younger developer does NOT have 20$ to drop on a plugin.
If someone wanted to support him, by all means just donate. But the price is still ridiculous. That is a fact and that is the most important point I have to make.

1 Like

Younger developers can access take advantage of Elttob’s “Access Anywhere” programme. This programme allows developers from anywhere to apply for a free product key on itch for several circumstances such as technical issues, financial issues and age. It may be worth checking.

3 Likes

If I’m correct all this does is change the suns lighting right? If so $20 is outrageous for this on Roblox. Maybe if they release a new lighting engine that doesn’t suck then you’d 100000% get MUCH more attention and sales. See you in 20 years when a fourth lighting engine is introduced to purchase this plugin!

1 Like

Yeah this is exactly why Access Anywhere exists. It you can’t afford to pay the listed price, that’s exactly who it’s targeted for.

I do not expect everyone in the world to see the value proposition and I don’t expect everyone to be able to afford it either, so I only ever ask that the people who do understand the value and can afford it, do purchase it.

As for everyone else, go grab it for free. I am not pedantic about it at all, it’s an open door and I want as many people as possible to have the chance to use my stuff.

1 Like

Right, Relight allows you to modify the lighting of both celestial bodies: the Sun and the Moon. Roblox’s Future lighting engine isn’t that bad, I personally believe that it’s decent.

Roblox already has four lighting engines available for us developers which are: Compatibility the pre Future Is Bright engine, possibly still active to allow old games to work, Voxel which was released as Future Is Bright Phase 1, ShadowMap which released as Future Is Bright Phase 2 to provide higher-quality shadows and Future the current release of the Roblox lighting engine released as Future Is Bright Phase 3, this engine provides higher quality shadows and reflections.

2 Likes

Apologiea for the late release notes here, but Elttob Relight 1.2.0 is live now. Release notes:

This minor version aligns Elttob Relight with the latest version of the Elttob Suite plugin framework, including the latest updates to the Sensation design system.

This keeps Elttob Relight in lock step with Elttob Reclass, the second product refresh from Studio Elttob to use this plugin framework. You can learn more over on the Elttob Reclass DevForum post.

Aside from subtle design tweaks, there are no user-facing changes. If there are any bugs or unexpected changes, please do reach out on the DevForum.

Many thanks, and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t believe it took me so long to do so, but I left a positive review on the creator store. I’ve been using this plugin for a few months now and I love it. Thank you so much and I can’t wait for the rest of the Elttob suite! (Also bought Reclass just now, lol)

2 Likes

Thank you so much! And thanks for the kind review - I’m happy to hear that you enjoy Shadow mode that much!

1 Like

I’m going to just leave this here. Day Night Weather Cycle - Lighting & Terrain Shader Algorithm + Artificial Sun - Clean Efficient [Open-Source] - Resources / Community Resources - Developer Forum | Roblox

What’s your workflow for creating the animated Vanilla icons you use in Relight? I’ve found lottielab to be the most intuitive and easy way of doing it so far since it works nicely with Figma, but I haven’t found I great way of converting the .json files into sprite sheets without going to some sketchy-looking websites.

2 Likes

I hand-animate every single one in Roblox Studio using code. No tech needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that’s a lot less complicated. Does it take a long time to animate each icon? And do you need to create multiple images at times when there are some moving parts – like with the face and bounce drag mode icons?

I tried using only Roblox Studio a long time ago to create a loading animation and eventually went with a sprite sheet because it produced a clear, less blurry image in the end. Have you run into any of these problems before?

1 Like

It takes about an hour for a single simple icon, longer for the more complex ones with a lot of moving parts. I isolate a bunch of shapes from the original icon design and stack them up with individual movements to get the cutouts and motions that I need - sometimes I can cleverly reuse some already-made parts of existing animations, but not usually.

I avoid problems with blurriness by being very careful about the image resolutions I upload, but beyond that, I mostly avoid spritesheets just because they tend to have a lower refresh rate than the display.

1 Like