Emission map support on SurfaceAppearances

A must-have! Has to be included into decals AND texture instances aswell!

4 Likes

Bumping this due to the need for emissive texture support in a horror project Iā€™ve been working on. Currently, I need to find a workaround which is disappointing since my 3D sculptor and texture artist put in a lot of work.

6 Likes

Bump, we really need this feature for both MaterialService and SurfaceAppearance. I would also love if Roblox could also add Displacement/Height and AO maps as well, as I think these will also be helpful for more immersive enviorements in games.

5 Likes

wondering why it hasnā€™t already been included to surfaceappearances
I donā€™t think anyone needs to explain use cases for it

pretty much every game engine has support for emissive textures and itā€™s incredibly odd that itā€™s not a thing in roblox yet

13 Likes

+1, itā€™s a much needed feature, would enable really cool looking builds!

4 Likes

Bump, we are currently stuck with niche workarounds that are really inconvenient for developers, emission should of been released with SurfaceAppearance.

8 Likes

Bump, how is this not in yet? Using transparent textures that you also want to glow without emission maps is such a pain.

8 Likes

Yeah this would be a game-changer for creating VFX with meshes and transparent textures

5 Likes

Bump, the engine lacking this has no excuse. Even engines such as GoldSrc from 1998 had the ability to use emissive textures. The fact that we are ENCOURAGED, to make extra triangles in our meshes to have them glow in a solid color is ridiculous.

10 Likes

Bump. I waited very patiently for PBR support, and then it came with no support for emmissive textures, which is kind of a letdown :confused:

7 Likes

Bump, my colleague who is a modeler needs emission map support for an enemy model

5 Likes

To be honest, this is really a very important function, it seems to me that the issue with this is very acute for many modellers! Roblox still has a lot of work to do to improve the engine

3 Likes

Bumping again, We need some sort of Alpha/Transparency Mapping in Roblox rather then relying on the weird Transparency PNG Option, Including adding Emissive Maps! (Allowing more than just a single neon color for a glowing decal)

The only way and alternatives we can do glowing decals are not as much efficient rather than just using the normal system almost LITERALLY ANY other game engine is using.

15 Likes

i love how this thread is constantly bumped with people wanting this with no replies from roblox
can we get this and tech like this, instead of stats and numbers for investors at rdc lmao

11 Likes

Why is this not a thing yet?! Not having emission map support might be excusable for a game engine from the mid 2000s, not a modern game engine. This is yet another one of the fundamental engine feature pillars that Roblox is missing.

7 Likes

Heck, I was making and using glow maps in 3DStudioMax for Morrowind mods. I am surprised that Roblox doesnā€™t incorporate them. I doubt its a technical limitation, so I wonder what it is that has kept them from incorporating them?

8 Likes

It canā€™t be. OpenGL ES 3 & DirectX 10 are the oldest graphics APIā€™s roblox currently allows.

These donā€™t have lack of support for Emissive shader code.

5 Likes

Idk, they seem to always like pushing away logical feature requests. Roblox I guess.

4 Likes

Bump!
Emission map should be added to SurfaceAppearance already, itā€™s used in almost every game engine and itā€™s extremely useful.

6 Likes

Please just tell us why things like this are delayed for eons. Itā€™s a no brainer that we need this, so why does it take years to even get so much as an acknowledgement? This plus recoloring SurfaceAppearance. Just tell us what the the blocker is! Should we expect 5 more years, or Q2 2024?

The sheer amount of content these missing features are holding back is painful.

We have barely heard anything from the rendering team on the forum for the last three+ years.

15 Likes