[ENABLED as of May 28] SocialService Game Invites are Live

They will never allow this. Players should not be able to join any of the places in a universe without the game itself teleporting them.

3 Likes

So in other words, for games with multiple places, you shouldn’t even try to implement SocialService.

Seems like a redundant feature then imo.

I don’t see why players shouldn’t be allowed to follow people into a non-start place if the developer enables it.

3 Likes

If the developer wants something like that, they can make a feature that lets their players teleport to their friends. I’d personally prefer they focus on new features rather than adding things we can do ourselves in 30 minutes.

4 Likes

Personally, I’ve never understood why with Roblox’s push on social features and the like, and with the implementation of Universes, they never considered opening up non-start places to be followed into, and would rather kick the players that attempt it and give them an error of “illegal teleport destination.”

And I love hearing “we can code it ourselves.” Might as well just kill off actual raycasting and any other feature Roblox has implemented on the C++ side. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

It’s literally a few API calls and you’re done for the simplest implementation (the one you want). It doesn’t need an extra setting. They weren’t exaggerating when they said 30 minutes. If it was a setting, many developers would not use it because there is usually some domain-specific logic in your game that would make it inconvenient to have players automatically teleporting into inner places.

Regarding your example: reimplementing raycasting in Lua is not only much slower than the built-in one but will also take you a couple of days to get right from scratch, and even then you can’t read mesh data or anything, just simple shape collisions. So having that in C++ provides clear value over doing it yourself because some data you simply cannot read or cannot be made available in a real-time performant way. This is a completely different situation from what you are talking about because this is just some logic flow, nothing performance-wise or any API limits, it would just be a shortcut and nothing more.

2 Likes

I just see that argument so much for a lot of different feature requests, it seems like a quick way to shut said requests down. The same thing was said when Roblox-implemented raycasting was introduced, among other features that have been implemented by Roblox on the C++ side of things. “We can code it ourselves.” I also wasn’t just referring to raycasting.

I still don’t see why developers shouldn’t have the option to allow players to teleport into a non-start place from their friend’s profile. It’s more convenient for the player as they don’t have to sling shot through the start place.

1 Like

I’ve checked in the last of the remaining changes needed for this feature earlier this week. Currently the changes are scheduled to be QA’d for the next two weeks.

Two weeks from now would be the earliest we are able to turn the feature on, provided everything from here on goes smoothly.

Thank you for your patience and interest in the feature!

This issue is a bit outside of the current scope of the SocialService feature and I would recommend bringing this up in a new thread if you’d like focused feedback on this idea. This thread is about the current SocialService Api.

9 Likes

Sorry for late reply, I guess they need to add some limit to it and it should save in all games.

For example

Game 1
Joined a game.
Sent 5 messages to my 5 friend then I got an error saying you’ve reached your max limit of invitations.
Left the game.
Game 2
Joined another game.
Tried to send messages, but got the same error saying you’ve reached your max limit of invitations

If you’re playing with a friend, and you’re playing different games all day. You cannot invite that person anymore after 5 games. I think people need to be able to pick their own max amount of incomming invites.

1 Like

Any updates on this feature? Would be very useful for lots of games on Roblox if only it was enabled.

I recommend scrolling up a little before asking.

2 Likes

From what I can gather from the recent release notes, you will no longer get the list of user IDs from the invite prompt. Games will likely only be able to reward players for successful invites, instead of rewarding players for spamming their friends with invites.

But how will you know if the invite was successful unless the person uses the Follow button?

Good question. Upon rereading the docs I can’t see a way of doing this, unless they add a way of detecting successful invites. Maybe it could extend the current system for following players into games?

Telling the developer which users were sent an invite would allow more customizability. What if it’s a single player game, or if the server is full? The inviter wouldn’t get rewarded.

If the developer had the User Ids of the invited, we would be able to implement our own systems and (lets say) record it, so we can have better referral programmes.

1 Like

The massive issue with a simplistic system like that is that it becomes much more rewarding to spam your friends with invites, which is one of the primary concerns about this feature. We might have good intentions but there will always be the reckless developers aiming to maximise their short term profits, and they will ruin the feature for us all - otherwise I would agree with you.

1 Like

Only solution would be having proven malicious usage of said feature to be against the TOS. There used to be a similar policy on advertisements where if it’s intent is to manipulate than it wouldn’t be tolerated.

3 Likes

Is there any update on this? Or is it abandoned?

@be_nj posted this exactly 2 weeks ago. I’d imagine that it is likely getting re-enabled some time next week.

1 Like

Definitely not abandoned. We caught an issue before release today.
Good news: the issue is easily resolved.
Bad news: We’ll have to wait for another release before it can be turned on. Continue to stay tuned.

9 Likes