Enact a Zero-Tolerance policy for Troll Posts

What did you say? Is this another troll post?

no, not a troll. just imaginationity

I think he was just making a joke. Though trolling on this thread would have an element of irony to it.

3 Likes

Maybe a solution should be to lock replies once a topic gets flagged by the community? I don’t know, but the moderators need to step up and prevent others from making these trolling posts.

1 Like

I like that one. Though it could be abused, so maybe only when Regulars flag?

They need to get a post approval system working again because as discussed in this post, there are not enough active regulars to make this an efficient way for this to work.

How did post approval work before it was removed, and why was it removed?
Biggest issue I can see with such a system is posts taking a long time to be approved.

It got removed before I joined but from what I have heard, before a member posted in a category regulars can only post in (such as bug reports, feature requests, etc.) a moderator would have to review their post before it came up. It got removed in September because it became too much of a strain on the small moderation team.

Well it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to re-introduce it, since that’d just put the strain back on.
And it wouldn’t solve the trolling in #development-discussion either.

Well I know the staff members are doing their best because right after you posted that link, a moderator closed the topic, so they might be reading this feature request right now because they are also sick of closing troll topics.

We still need to think of an efficient way of preventing people from making these topics.

It was overwhelming for the staff. They couldn’t handle thousands of requests every day.

Well I’m not so sure about that. It got taken down likely because people clicked on the link and more people flagged it. When enough people flag a topic, it gets taken down and gets more staff attention. But I agree the post did get taken down as soon as I posted it.

1 Like

The only people I know who have abused flags are Regulars, not that it doesn’t happen with Members, but that’s probably not the best way to check if a flag is valid.

1 Like

Can we also note that troll topics always have heavily off-topic replies too. Someone did a ten second flag challenge in #development-discussion and it was not related to development at all.

People also think it’s ok to post memes and spam in these topics too. In one particular troll topic, the same YouTube link was spammed five times throughout the topic and it was for an Among Us drip song.

Again, no offense to these users, I am just providing this particular example because several users do this.

And still, around 90% of it is all in #development-discussion, the category that has became a magnet for troll posts and off-topic posts, and if we close Development Discussion, the troll posts would likely be in #help-and-feedback:scripting-support or #help-and-feedback:cool-creations.

1 Like

Definitely agree with this. I’m seeing more and more troll topics on thr DevForum. Roblox needs to do something before the DevForum becomes a repeat of the old Roblox Forum.

However, there should be an exception made for posts that are off topic but have effort or was not made just to troll. These could be, for example, introductary posts that aren’t in the introduction megathread, or posts about how a specific game is bad. These are off topic, however the author would probably not mean to be disrubtive. I think in this scenario we should give one chance to the author and give them a warning. If they repeat their mistake again, they should be removed.

Also, I support punishing those who post off topic replies on off topic posts. The author of these posts are just adding fuel to the fire and should also be suspended.

1 Like

If you see a post that is off-topic, you can ask or DM (DM is preferred) the person who made the topic to move it if it’s off-topic, and they usually listen, but sometimes they don’t. When I asked the person who made the introduction troll thread (aka the “10 second flag”) to post it in the one in #forum-feedback, I got this response:

If you do ask the user to move the topic, I would flag the post and press the “send this user a message” option.

1 Like

Yeah, I have to agree with that. I think the fact that the desc. for #development-discussion (which reads “For any and all discussions related to Roblox Development”) has something to do with how it became a junk drawer.

Again like I said, it’s so unclear what ‘discussions related to Roblox Development’ implies that yeah it becomes the junk drawer in your kitchen. How it’s open to Member+ users makes it worse, since there is a growing amount of underage users on here and they don’t usually know how to use the forum (not just underage users, some can be new users who also don’t know how to use the forum). Some not knowing where to post stuff, others thinking that posting some meme they found on their discord underage hangout is funny (troll posts). At this point I just see either restricting DD to Regular+ or elaborating on what the category is used for, and enforcing its rules a lot more.

1 Like

Trolling is already against the forum rules. Not quite sure what the point of this thread was.

Please read the entire thread. :slight_smile: The rules currently only give the offender a feedback message, not even punishment.