Enforcing Our Advertising Guidelines

Oh so now I just found out that this post was created as a result of being accused by the FTC for deceptive marketing. This would be interesting to see where this is gonna go though.

2 Likes

Mentioned it here before:

The change was made months ago in response to developers using predatory marketing practices to prey on kids. This is an announcement reminding people of the grace period.

Edit:
The first sentence of the post literally denies that the FTC is responsible for the change. Please read before you go spreading misinformation here.

1 Like

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester_cropped

No - this has been in the ToS for ages now they decided to enforce it starting recently.

3 Likes

No. CC: @Klimi8888 @Azrellie @Qualadore

A change announced last year about advertising control is not caused by an investigation into advertising disclosure recently

2 Likes

Would this affect Discord Webhooks for devs who use these webhooks to get general feedback from there games community and also bug reports for there game??

Saw a video (from a known youtuber) shortly after seeing this about a another possible lawsuit so I just assumed that was a direct result of this being created so.

It is strongly advised that you read the announcement before replying to it to minimise such errors. CC: @KingDestroyer_4

2 Likes

You can see the massive losses Roblox are making on their public quarterly and yearly report filings.

1 Like

man, you guys’ terrible decisions are really starting to bite you in the behinds, huh?
how are you gonna screw over thousands of developers this time (i know that it’s been in the ToS for years, but after that whole audio debakel, roblox is just trying to shoehorn everything together)
roblox stocks have been tanking, are you gonna cut even more money from us developers?

2 Likes

Oh I most certainly have. Just that seeing how the FTC is getting in on this. I’m kinda interested to see where this is gonna go and what Roblox will do to developers. Let’s see if they will screw us over again as what @minkmink said.

Share price has been following a very similar trajectory to Unity. Are Roblox’s decisions having a flow on effect to the entire market?

1 Like

Well, apparently, they made this because OF ANOTHER LAWSUIT.
Damn, roblox is being sued every week now.

1 Like

Nope. If you bother to read the very first sentence of the announcement:

1 Like

For me, it’s just too suspicious, it came right after a news about it being sued for? Exactly what they say later in this announcement, 3rd party advertisements. That’s what I get from it at least, kinda confusing. Could be wrong though, I don’t have much information about this.

1 Like

You’re 100% wrong. There’s no lawsuit from July of last year (when the change was made). This one is a coincidence. This post is a reminder that the grace period is almost over.

2 Likes

Did you even read the FTC complaint? (not a law suit by the way).

The FTC complaint is mostly about companies making games where the whole game is an ad in disguise.

If anything these 3rd party ads that they are putting an end to were more legitimately transparent ads as I think a lot of them label the ads as ads within the game.

I do see the problem Roblox is seeking to address though when you allow 3rd party’s to serve ads you have no idea what they will ‘publish’ to your game and what your players may be exposed to.

I think a better way Roblox could have handled this would be by making an ad infrastructure where these 3rd party providers could partner with and be approved and integrated by Roblox into the monetization options available to all dev’s(not just the ones trying to circumvent the TOS at this point).

3 Likes

What actions will be taken towards non-compliance?

Probably your good old ban hammer either on the game or on the account/group hosting it.

We have updated our Community Standards and introduced Advertising Standards to Roblox. Please take this time to familiarize yourself with the new guidelines.

13 Likes

Does anyone have update on this question’s answer? If we can’t send impression analytics data to 3rd party advertisement providers, why would they place an ad in the gam in the first place?

1 Like