Enforcing Our Advertising Guidelines

I’m not a Roblox employee, but I’m guessing this would be considered “an attempt to circumvent these blocks or our policies.” which “may result in further action against your account and/or your experience.”

6 Likes

This post and the policies quoted are specifically covering advertisements and advertising content. Edited a bit to make that clearer.

16 Likes

I recognize that, however the second bullet point does specify “within your experience” - such code would theoretically be processed by a first-party web server controlled by the developer specifically not within the Roblox experience. I imagine such software would act beyond the scope of a simple proxy. Even so, the policy could be more narrow without specifying that it applies to code within the experience.

4 Likes

Wonder if Bloxbiz will still be valued at $17.5m. The creators definitely sold up on that one at the right time.

9 Likes

Can I use my own ad-server to manage & push advertisements which only I manage & use assets uploaded on my own account?

2 Likes

Do I have to clarify that my Roblox Studio plugins have advertisements (for reference, there is zero disclaimer saying it is an advert)? The advertisements are currently unpaid and they are for some of my other plugins

1 Like

How are developers even allowed to make money at this point like Roblox just makes enforcements to prevent us from making money.

As yes, developers making 17% of their revenue in 2020.

This is almost impossible for us with the current regulations. Brands are unable to link users to a store so why would they settle for “in-game” content unless its highly specific to their brand.

Youtubers / streamers have much larger and more accessible options for sponsorships and all they have to do is a small bit promoting it. Developers have to apparently make custom models, code something, and sell it to players for a smaller payout in the end.

The ad network I work along side with, even helped some games get their sponsorship by acting like a middleman. Aside from that I don’t think people who code have business skills to negotiate brand deals or even know how to get opportunities like that.

Kinda just sucks seeing this unfold since I’m bouta watch a large chunk of revenue disappear into thin air.

17 Likes

It has been a rule for a while now when the last announcement was created about enforcing the advertising guidelines.

1 Like

That is how I interpret it as well. Are we not allowed to add decals anymore?

1 Like

All my opinion.

This genuinely pisses me off, Roblox seems to wonder why the larger video game community doesn’t respect the platform? It’s because Roblox can’t seem to let developers innovate or do anything themselves. Is there any actual reasoning behind this besides “we don’t get a cut”? So what, let developers innovate. As long as the images are reviewed properly I truly don’t see the problem. If its a moderation issue then maybe Roblox should fix that instead of punishing developers and cutting off a massive revenue stream.

This part specifically pisses me off, does Roblox think everyone on the platform has the ability to get in contact with brands? No, because they are all swept up by invasive, greedy companies. It genuinely seems like this platform don’t care about indie developers anymore and only want the big companies to succeed, despite indie devs being the reason the platform is where it is today.

I implore you, reverse this decision and allow us smaller developers to have an extra revenue source. If Roblox can’t do that then they are lost.

17 Likes

What does this mean by third party advertising?

This is an extremely disappointing change to see.

It really seems like Roblox is increasingly making it harder for the majority of Developers to earn from their work. Roblox has a HUGE platform, which comes with exponential opportunities to work directly with countless brands. Roblox has the ability to create an Ad System, giving access to countless Games on the Platform, to increase their earnings by easily introducing these approved and curated Ads.

Not only would this Ad System benefit Developers, but Roblox would also of course take a % as well.

So rather than trying to help Developers, in a way that also directly benefits them, they chose to directly make it harder for specifically the Developer to earn from their work.

Really disappointing Roblox. This could’ve been acceptable if you would’ve created a solution, rather than only creating a problem for Developers.

On another note, the way in which you chose to explain these changes isn’t very helpful. You can look through this post and see at least 5 very important unanswered questions.
When explaining a new change, you should include examples of current common usages from the Community, which will be affected by this change.
Without this, you leave much room for confusion and concerns, and most likely won’t ever get a direct answer from Staff.

6 Likes

They might’ve had valid reasoning behind this, I assume it’s one of the following:

• Ads contained content not abiding by the Community Guidelines
  • Roblox is creating an Ad System, which will bring Ads directly to Games. Roblox will take a % of this, and they want to force Developers to only be able to use this

I don’t think this exact change was necessary for the first reason, they could’ve of course handled that by Moderating the game, but who knows…

That’s the other issue here, why is Roblox consistently choosing to not be transparent with WHY they’re issuing changes.

They presented the Audio change as a way to increase Privacy and even help Developers, but the real reason was due to a Lawsuit last year…

I don’t want to come off as being anti-Roblox, but their methods of communicating with the Developer community are extremely concerning.

5 Likes

I, for one, believe that this is a good change.

Kids should be protected from predatory ads especially when the developer doesn’t control what goes into those ads which is a whole other can of worms.

9 Likes

There should be further clarification on what a 3rd party ad server is.

3 Likes

Thank you. Ads were already a disgrace to any platform that exists, but having the third party be in control made it worse.

Does this include using Roblox API for Discord bots?

Ok I’m sorry, how is this a bad update? It’s literally just telling developers to moderate their ads, so that bad content wont be shown.

2 Likes

Does this article have anything to do with this update

2 Likes

Probability, but they wouldn’t admit that though.

2 Likes