Enhanced MessagingService Limits

Less gooo!!

8 Likes

Something Iā€™m confused of is why I can send 840 (or more) requests, but only receieve a 6th of them in other games, how does this even work?

8 Likes

Can you reproduce this? Did the 840 requests succeed, or are they just attempts, but some of them failed/rate limited? Can you DM me your experience so I can take a look? thanks.

8 Likes

Im wondering about these two numbers, theyā€™re confusing me a little, its not a bug Iā€™m trying to report here lol

9 Likes

MessagingService had very oppressively small limits beforehand that made it non-viable for a lot of my use cases, so seeing 4x increase across the board is amazing. I love when results meet the promises and talks Roblox give us via events like the Developersā€™ Conference; here, the results of improved server infrastructure and backend technology better enable developers to create better features in their experiences.

Really appreciate it!

11 Likes

very nice, hopefully one day there will no longer be limits for it, but that will be in the very future

7 Likes

Will the size of message have itā€™s limits increased by chance in the near future?

6 Likes

This is a really good question that Iā€™ve always hadā€¦ it doesnā€™t seem to make sense, so some insight on this would be nice :smiley: @jjwu_play

Otherwise, such an awesome change thatā€™ll open up so many more avenues for my games. Great to see.

6 Likes

4x increase?! I think I can finally achieve that MMO system I had going before. Although, I had done it with DataStores instead of MessagingService originally. This is going to be a game-changer.

5 Likes

Great update, but I do wish that the max messaging size could be higher than 1 KB.

5 Likes

That is awesome! This update is a limit of message service! Thank you, and I love it! :heart:

5 Likes

When will it work in Studio so I can actually develop without assuming things?

4 Likes

wow, these are some pretty nice changes! Looking forward to what we can do with this.

5 Likes

Good changes, love it!
Canā€™t wait for more of these.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a little confused as to why this would be used over Memory Stores. It does look a little bit easier to use at least, especially for simple things.

5 Likes

MessagingService is useful for messaging other servers, MemoryStoreService is for sharing data between servers.

Biggest difference is that a message can be listened to. You can handle it and send back a reply, or modify something in game.

MemoryStores donā€™t have this listener/subscriber feature.

9 Likes

This makes sense, however you can code systems to do this anyway. Maybe Iā€™m not understanding something here, but these limits still appear to be much more strict than memory stores. I guess it depends on the specific use-case. As I said in my original reply, this does seem easier to use. But the per-experience limitations are what made me stay far away from this messaging service.

4 Likes

Your implementation would be to poll a MemoryStore periodically to see if there is a ā€˜messageā€™?

If thatā€™s the case, then itā€™s not really efficient. In most cases thatā€™s probably fine (not recommended!), but an event/listener based system is very useful in some cases.

Personally Iā€™m using it for a ā€˜joinplayerā€™ command in our game. This sends a message to all servers, then the server that has the player (if any), sends back a message with itā€™s jobid. Then the server that first sent the request can teleport you to that server.

Doing that with MemoryStores is possible, but not ideal.

7 Likes

Hey even if your system works , you donā€™t need MessagingService to do that
You can get a player JobId using that TeleportService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub
So youā€™re donā€™t use MessagingService

5 Likes

Awesome! Glad to see so many positive updates from the Roblox team lately! Thanks!

4 Likes