Enhanced MessagingService Limits

Hello Creators,

We are thrilled to announce that MessagingService now has significantly higher limits, which gives you more flexibility to build features like global announcements and cross-server messaging exchanges!

We have heard your feedback that the MessagingService was too limited to achieve some of the features you envisioned. In recent months, our team has been diligently working to enhance both the reliability and scalability of MessagingService. As a result, we are able to increase the service limits for almost every category. Here are the updated limits:

Limit Before After
Messages sent per game server 150 + 60 * (number of players in this game server) per minute 600 + 240 * (number of players in this game server) per minute
Messages received per topic (10 + 20 * number of servers) per minute (40 + 80 * number of servers) per minute
Messages received for entire game (100 + 50 * number of servers) per minute (400 + 200 * number of servers) per minute
Subscriptions allowed per game server 5 + 2 * (number of players in this game server) 20 + 8 * (number of players in this game server)
Subscribe requests per game server 60 requests per minute 240 requests per minute
Size of message 1 KB 1 KB

These enhancements pave the way for more dynamic and instantaneous cross-server communication, aiming to enrich your experiences with deeper engagement and interactivity. This is just the beginning! We’re committed to continuously improving our systems, with plans for even more flexible rate limits and more reliable message delivery.

Please share your feedback by replying to the post. To get started, check out our latest documentation for Messaging Service.

Cheers,

The Roblox Creator Services Team

312 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Cross-server messaging exchanges will be very interesting to experiment with! Love it!

25 Likes

4x increase is crazy, thanks a lot for the upgrade!

31 Likes

Seems cool. This could be very useful for in-game moderators, and could release a lot of worries on spam.

14 Likes

This allows for way much more experimentation, and I love it. Thanks for this!

13 Likes

This is really lovely!

I am eager to try some of these new stuff.

14 Likes

Thank you, great extensive work in your part. What was done? Was it optimizations or just more freedom to the developers?

14 Likes

Does this also include the open cloud messaging api?

13 Likes

Woooo! this is a very helpful update thank you roblox

12 Likes

I AM SO HAPPY, THANK YOU SO MUCH ROBLOX! AFTER MONTHS OF REQUESTING MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED :raised_hands:

14 Likes

We did optimize the system in a few ways, with a better backend messaging system to scale based on the needs.

30 Likes

Perfect timing. I’m working on my cross-server communications literally as this was posted. That’s crazy!

I hope the reliability was enhanced as much as the scalability :eyes:

14 Likes

This does NOT include the open cloud messaging API. Based on the metrics for OpenCloud we don’t see the need to increase the limit yet, but we can revisit it and work on increasing the limit as well in the future.

18 Likes

Yay! The limits are back up, so happy to see it. This simple change can allow for so much more!

10 Likes

Great change, though what about the size of messages? While 1kb of data can be enough for quite a lot of standard uses cases i believe there may still be situations in which you would need to send multiple messages at once. Would it not technically be faster to just send a single bigger message rather than 2-3 smaller ones?

10 Likes

This is SO huge, thank you so much. Always had to try and use workarounds to MS through MSS and other paths so this is super super helpful.

10 Likes

this is almost 4x increase for all limits, that’s insane!

10 Likes

Let’s gooo! Now, all we need is messagingservice subscriptions via external APIs. This is amazing, thank y’all! This just proves that different departments have different people, which different leadership, so it’s not all of the same people and we thank each one of y’all of doing this work!

Who was on this project , so we can thank them?

10 Likes

The message size limit didn’t even change, so why include it in the changes if there were no changes? I don’t understand this logic.

11 Likes