Enrolling in the Beta Channel should be disabled or improved

The Beta Channel

When the Beta Features system originally was released, many developers Enrolled in the “Beta Channel”.
This beta channel now seems to be causing lots of problems with developers who have enabled this setting a long time ago, or those who are unsure as to what it does.

I have seen tons of developers outraged when certain betas are enabled, claiming they’re forcing them onto users, or claiming they should be “opt-in” instead of “opt-out”, but don’t realize that the reason they’re experiencing this behavior is due to their enabling of this setting.

Examples

Specifically looking at the replies of announcements like this, lots of the comments are outraged users who don’t realize they can toggle this beta off.

Examples

chrome_lMexXDE0zy

Why this matters

When betas that negatively impact developers are enabled, people get angry and comments start becoming unproductive rather than ways to improve a feature. The point of a beta program is to gather feedback, not “disable this, its broken” or “bad update”, like many responses become.

Ideas on how to resolve

1. Notify developers in the “Beta Track” when new betas are enabled. Give them a notification, “Hey, this new beta was enabled, and a reminder that you can disable it in Settings”.
  2. Discontinue the Beta Track all together, and allow people to opt into the features that best fit their needs.
12 Likes

I didn’t even realize I opted in 'til recently :rofl:

IMHO, when new beta features get added, there should be a sidebar on the right side of the studio home page (experience select page?) that quickly allows you toggle & review ur opted in features. This shouldn’t be exclusive to devs opted into beta channels – but should be toggleable/disable-able from studio settings.

This way, devs realize what features are available & whether they’re in the beta channel or not (and if they want to opt in).

2 Likes