Epic Boss Created!

Hello! I made a boss fight! It’s pretty great regarding visuals and cutscenes. And the attacks keep the boss constantly threatening and keep the fight intense.

Attacks:

Double Slash

This move is quick to use and is a low-medium range for the boss. The boss slashes forwards twice and with each slash the boss moves a bit more forward until allowing the boss to get close to a player who is around 25-15 studs away with the slashes. It does about 20 damage per slash.

Ground Slam

This short range move is powerful. Instead of just the sword doing damage when the boss slams it on the ground in an attempt to hit the player, the sword does damage and creates a ripple effect that can damage other players for 40 damage. This makes attempting to get in close for an attack dangerous. This is also the time when the boss is vulnerable to take damage due to the nature of the slow but powerful move.

Dash Attack

The dash attack is a long range move primarily, the boss lunges at a player with a fast slash. This lets the boss always stay close to the player to deal maximum damage and renders running away a bad tactic when taking on the boss.

Bomb Throw

This move is a medium-long range attack. It is also very dangerous and the bombs can kill a player in 1 hit due to how powerful they are. This is balanced because of the throwing animation to let the player know that the boss will throw a bomb and the fact that the bomb takes 1 second to reach the target.

The Name

I needed a good name for my boss because a good name means a good first impression during the boss intro cutscene. I chose guardian of the gate.

Second Phase

The boss has a second phase. Unlike other bosses, this boss's second phase starts at a random health ranging from 3500 to 5000 health. This makes the player constantly on edge as they don't know when the second phase will start.

Why is the second phase surprising for first time players?
To get the boss’s health less than 5000 shows the player, “Oh, there’s no second phase!” and lures them into a false sense of security. When the second phase starts, the player is caught off guard.

What is the second phase?

The second phase is where the main boss clones itself to a shadow clone that is weaker in many ways. The feeling of a double threat scares the player. The clone adds onto the stress and the player is forced to think on their feet and think of another strategy instead of waiting until you have a moment to counter the first boss’s ground slam with a sword strike.

The Video

Intro and Boss Start Cutscene:

Ending Cutscene:

Closing Statements

The boss turned out extremely good especially since it's the first health system boss I attempted. The visuals increased the quality of the boss by a lot and the music helped make it feel intense. The cutscenes add to the feeling of a polished game and make the anticipation for the boss even higher.

Anyways, that's all from me for now. If you want to know how I scripted certain attacks or anything let me know!

Note: I'm gonna replace the sword that the player uses soon since it's just a toolbox asset currently. However, it doesn't take away from the boss fight at all and me changing it won't affect the fight in a negative way.
16 Likes

It reminds me of RBLXWare’s boss fights. I really like it!

2 Likes

Seems pretty cool, in my honest opinion though I feel you kinda missed on the whole “keeping the fight intense”, the music doesn’t really fit with the style of boss, and I think the boss moves a bit too slow to actually be quantified as “Intense”, otherwise, Nice job!

2 Likes

Has the game already been released?

Is that a bad thing? Uh oh

capppps

It looks great! The music doesn’t really fit the fight, but other than that it is really cool. Also, I think that Guardian of The Gate is a great name for him. Good luck with your game!

1 Like

Mhm Its really good, is it possible to play this game?

Yeah it’s a public game msg me for more details

Looking into getting some better music for this boss!

Noice. However make the boss point at you, and make him have a counter when you come to his face and he is facing you exactly he like slaps you. Also, maybe make a different sword system than the roblox one. (Or change the animations??)

1 Like

That’s a good idea I was working on a counter system for players who try getting in close and jumping all around the boss which would make the boss use an AOE attack so that players at close-medium range would get damaged.

I was just trying to play it. It is not supposed to be a bad thing.

1 Like

oh ok lol i thought you were implying that the boss was not in a good state to be released oof

That’s actually really cool, only thing i don’t think suits it is the fact that the way the boss slashes you is a bit too aggressive, so you end up having no time to get in and deal damage, or no time to get away and dodge the attack

1 Like