Equipping tools results in flickers and may cause crashes

Reproduction Steps
No one I know has had this issue. The only correlation I can derive is was a BIOS update I recently did to my laptop

Expected Behavior
Equipping a tool should cause my character to play the ToolNone animation, or etc.

Actual Behavior
The character flickers for a few frames, and when using integrated graphics, results in a soft crash.

When this soft crash happens, every character that is equipping a tool fails to render until the tool is unequipped.

Workaround
Currently, the only way around this was to use my GTX, however the issue with the flickering is still there.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-03-26 20:03:00 (+00:00)

10 Likes

Is it happening to every game or just in your game?

I can confirm that this is a issue. When equipping a tool that has parts or a model your character will flicker and sometimes even crash.

second this, happens whenever a mesh or texture is being loaded into a humanoid

2 Likes

This is a reoccurrence of a certain bug where the character would flicker on “state” changes. Instead, there are no sudden deference in applying texture and it is just blank as if the geometry failed to read in time.

Yes, I experienced that in Roblox Bedwars recently where when I equip a tool my character flashes.

Can confirm this, really annoying. It’s like your character goes invisible for a second and flicks back in. Also meshes can’t load.

I had this happen to me with Vulkan graphics setting enabled on Windows, can’t replicate with the correct and intended setting for Windows though.

Testing rn, could also be something I only experienced on my MacBook Air before I bought a desktop intended for games too.

Tested, can no longer replicate this issue I had in 2020.

1 Like

Would you guys mind showing me your value in this Studio setting? It seems to cause a flicker and reload of all meshes in my play test sessions when changed, even if I set it back to the previous value in the same Studio session it doesn’t fix itself and I need to reboot.

Is this your problem?

This seems to happen when I set the Mesh Cache Size to a low amount, which makes sense given the name of the setting. If I change it back in the same session it doesn’t fix, a reboot however will fix the issue.

This is also occurring in live games, so this setting should not be the issue, or if it is, the setting is not changeable.

I saw this happening on arsenal where someone would get a kill and then they flicker

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

Just wanted to circle back here. So sorry for the late response. We can’t repro, is the issue still happening?

I believe this was fixed considering the report is over a year old now.