Error: Humanoid::ApplyDescription() DataModel was not available

I am trying to create default outfit with humanoid descriptions, but I am getting this error that says: Humanoid::ApplyDescription() DataModel was not available
Here is my code located in ServerScriptService:

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	local hum = player.Character and player.Character:FindFirstChild("Humanoid")
	if hum then
		local description = hum:GetAppliedDescription()
		description.Shirt = 5929995954
		description.Pants = 4945224495
		hum:ApplyDescription(description)
	end
end)
2 Likes

Try yielding the thread until the humanoid is a descendant of game.

local humanoid
local parent = humanoid.Parent or humanoid.AncestryChanged:Wait()
1 Like

I looked it up, and on the Dev Hub it says Humanoid:ApplyDescription is “not safe” . I tried your suggestion, I still got the same error.

Solved my own problem, I added a player.CharacterAdded:Wait() and a wait(2), now it works. Here’s my changed code:

player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
	local hum = player.Character and player.Character:FindFirstChild("Humanoid")
	if hum then
		print("Hum")
		wait(2)
	end
end)
4 Likes

The issue with this is that it will only work when the player joins
Try this instead, it’ll be slightly faster (won’t wait two seconds) and will work on character respawn.

player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
		local hum = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
		if not character:IsDescendantOf(workspace) then
			character.AncestryChanged:Wait()
		end
	end)
end)
11 Likes

Sorry for late response. Thank you! I’’ try that next time.

1 Like

I had the same error while trying to apply a humanoid description gotten from a player’s userId into a cloned blank rig. To solve my variant of this issue, I waited until all the base parts of the blank rig were loaded:

repeat task.wait() until (#(rig:GetChildren()) > 9)

and I had to make sure the rig was a descendant of the workspace before applying the humanoid description

Just a heads up of course, obviously you solved your situation as it seems however I wanted to share there’s also other ways I kind of do:

game:GetService("Players").PlayerAdded:Connect(function(Player : {[string] : "Player"})
	Player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(Character : {[string] : "Character"})
		if not(Player:HasAppearanceLoaded() or Player.CharacterAppearanceLoaded) then
			repeat task.wait() until Player:HasAppearanceLoaded() and Player.CharacterAppearanceLoaded;
		end
	end);
end);

This awaits until the player’s appearance has loaded, it usually works for me, but it’s pretty simple and doesn’t fully require “wait” task twice in a sort of way and etc.

It even works without the character, this is just something I’d like to addon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you explain this absurd type checking.

It’s not inherently absurd, maybe the use of repeat can be seen absurd, but it does indeed work for me when awaiting for the character to process loading, and yet no issue happens or memory usage.

But to shed some light to how it works, it detects if the player’s appearance has loaded alongside the character appearance. If one is invalid it will await in a repeat task, however it can be changed by waiting for the Character’s Appearance to load by the :Wait() function if I’m correct.

Overall, it works as any other but awaits for the player’s character to process.