'Error Report' shows errors from scripts that aren't in my game

In the ‘error report’ page of the creator dashboard, I am shown errors from different games. This makes it cumbersome to locate uncommon issues that aren’t necessarily easily reproducible. Although they happen in small amounts <10 instances per error in the last day usually), there are a lot of unique errors and warnings which makes it hard to find what errors are actually from my game.

Some examples of errors from scripts that don’t exist in my game:

The list goes on.

I don’t really have instructions to make it happen consistently because I don’t know what the cause is.

Device Info
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/117.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
Platform Type: PC
Device Type: Computer

Expected behavior

Error reports should only show errors that happen in my game.

Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/dashboard/creations/experiences/2097056340/analytics/errors

9 Likes

Given that this is client-sided output, it could be absolutely anything due to exploiters. Exploiters can load admin scripts and whatnot into your game which can emit these kinds of warnings in the client console. I ran into this issue with my game as well and had the exact same thought as you but then remembered that you can’t trust the client logs with anything… heck, exploiters could even run warn() or error() in a script they inject and make it seem like there’s issues in your game when there aren’t any. Maybe Roblox could add a disclaimer on the Error Report page alerting developers to the unreliability of client error reports.

TL;DR - it’s unlikely this is a bug. It’s probably the work of an exploiter inserting a client-sided Adonis admin script into your game. Hopefully this provides insight into this issue for Roblox engineers as well, which may have ended up spending hours trying to pinpoint a bug that didn’t exist in the first place if it wasn’t for this post. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

While I can’t say for certain, someone did say that errors from exploits don’t appear in the error logs:

Furthermore, exploit error tracebacks are usually from a script with a random or no name with no parent whereas the errors in my error report are named scripts with parents.

1 Like

Are you using models from the marketplace? If so, the errors could be coming from those models.

1 Like

I don’t see how Roblox would be able to determine injected local scripts from normal ones… injected scripts can be parented anywhere, as well - they’re not always under CoreGui. If they could detect these, I’m sure they would’ve taken advantage of it and their anti-cheat would have this capability (which it doesn’t), so I doubt what Mary said is accurate. Regardless, hopefully an engineer will get to this report and can clarify this.

Not necessarily. Aforementioned, exploiters can parent LocalScripts to wherever they want, including PlayerGui. The errors you provided in this reply are likely from a GUI a player decided to inject into your game that has LocalScript descendants. I could be wrong, but this is my assumption after playing around with this feature. Also, the fact that server-sided error logs are not impacted by this issue somewhat strengthens my theory with this.

1 Like

That is the case for some exploits but some still use the console they could use warn() and it’d display to the console

1 Like

If we’re able to detect that the error is from an exploit then we won’t show it in the error log.

I guess what I’m saying, that this is more of an exploit detection issue than a Error Log issue, and if you have any specifics around exploit detection you can create a bug report for that?

Other teams are working hard to bring Byfron to different platforms which should help with exploit detection, for example:

Sorry, but I don’t think there’s anything that we can specifically help with here, so lmk if you’re okay with us closing this?

3 Likes

Yeah you can close this out in that case

1 Like

Actually, I have a question I guess, could you guys not check if the script from which it occurs from exists at runtime?

For example in one of the examples above:

Could you guys not go through the path players.<player from which the error occured>.PlayerGui.StayOnScreen.LocalProgressBarChoppyVersion and see if every instance in that path exists at the time the error occurs?

If not, could you give us a callback or something that allows us to validate whether or not an error is ok? Because this is a bit of a a hindrance when it comes to identifying obscure bugs, especially when there’s a unique error limit of 500 or so.

2 Likes

A callback would be great - you could also exclude certain errors or warnings that don’t need to be logged with this.

3 Likes

I believe you replied to the wrong person as I’m not the creator of this topic but I’d be more than happy to supply some detection methods to further the progress of Hyperion, my discord is shadowisreal or you can private message me on the devforum.

1 Like

Little bit of a bump, but this is an extremely annoying issue.

Usually I would get a few of these errors, but recently they spiked up to the thousands:

None of these meshparts are in my game. The script that tries to grab the LocalTransparencyModifier doesnt exist either.

Its very clear that something weird is going on here, you can even find the example error that was shown in the original topic about the error report tab being added:

Luckily it only appears for client logs, not server logs though.

I dont know if the errors are still being recorded when you join a different game or what, but it would be really nice if this was fixed.

2 Likes

ive gotten these too

very interesting to say the least. they are all client as well so i can only guess it’s due to exploiting

3 Likes

Also happening for me… It looks like I am getting errors from another game?

“Aero” appears to be an old framework for making Roblox games (which I have never used.)

As far as I can tell, there is no exploit by the name of Aero nor is there any reason somebody would inject this framework into their client in an attempt to exploit… My only conclusion is that my error log is showing errors from other people’s games.

2 Likes

mad annoying i get this type of errors too and its june 2024…

1 Like