Even though my builds are full of stuff, my game still feels empty

I’m not sure what it is, but my game feels empty, lifeless, yet I still can’t figure out what to do to fix it.

Here are some screenshots:

Thanks for any help :slight_smile: :grin:

I recommend researching something called: Environmental Story Telling. The basic jyst of it is to tell a story through the environment that you’re creating.

A great example of it would be putting a fresh tar patch in the road as a way to say “oh this road has been used enough that they had to patch a pothole”:

Really, you should look at pictures of the environment you’re trying to mimic and try to figure out what makes a space lively. It’s a very great exercise in general for planning out spaces.

9 Likes

Take a walk down any street and you’ll notice small details that aren’t ‘perfect’.
There are sewer grates, metal manholes, cracked pavement, parking signs, and other odd things.

Is the bank supposed to have a parking lot in front? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a street with a building set so far back with a large featureless concrete open area like that.

Building edges are rarely perfectly flat with no details. The pink/purple neon lights on the building look really out of place. Streets rarely end in flat walls.

Also I look at the lamp poles and they seem very thick, and the scale of the doors in most buildings is pretty standard, where your doors are all different heights.

5 Likes

Surprised I never noticed this! Also, that flat wall was a placeholder for a potential building. Thank you for all of the other feedback aswell.

1 Like

That sounds really cool! I’ll definitely look into it. I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.