There’s still an existing bug where we can get leaks when new avatar appearances are loaded. The original thread can be found (here)[Every time your character dies it leaks memory (up to 500 MB, probably infinite)], where dying would lead to memory leaks. Now, loading character appearances still leaks memory. The reproduction can be found (here)[Die every second - Roblox].
- Occurs with R15 (see my avatar), but reproduces with anyone’s avatar, including custom avatars
- Occurs on both memory constrained and un-memory-constrained platforms
- Occurs consistently
- Join a game
- Change your characters outfit using some preset character outfits (you can also have new players join the game, which is the actual issue)
- Reset your character
- Expected result: Memory stays relatively consistent
- Actual result: Memory is leaked per a costume (Here’s the result of 10ish costume changes, or 10 player joins).
You can also reproduce this by joining this game and clicking around your preset costume outfits OR you can also use the “Randomize costume” button which will randomize your costume.
Note: Eventually the reproduction levels off since it’s not loading more hats, but with a better list of Ids, I’m sure I can get it higher.
Effectively, every time a new player joins the game, it leaks memory if their outfit is different. Reproduction in live looks like this:
- Join the game
- Have other players join the game with different outfits
- Memory leaks slowly but consistently over time
I expect that the memory should not leak when a new character appearance loads, and then gets unloaded. Players loading with different appearances is a very consistent thing in Roblox and should not leak memory.
*Fixing this bug is important because this leads to crashes on many low-end devices in games with any amount of player joins
The memory appears to permanently leak per a character outfit.
You can see a video of this here:
Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Performance