Expand the safe studio updates feature to protect opening places from the website or from file

Currently the safe studio updates beta feature will only protect you if you open places from within Studio by using the File menu.

My workflow almost never involves opening places from within Studio, and instead involves opening places from file intermittently throughout the entire day while I already have a Studio session open for development on my game. I only ever open new places in Studio from the File menu when I need a blank baseplate for testing something, all other cases I am opening my project files from the Explorer in Windows or files downloaded in Chrome.

Today while working on the Post Approval inbox, I downloaded a repro file and opened it from Chrome, and it killed my development Studio session when Studio updated. Luckily I did not lose any work, but I might have if I was not paranoid about manually saving my work every two minutes.

Please expand the functionality of the safe studio updates feature to cover cases where places are opened from the website or opened from file, instead of only when opened from within Studio.

It would be cool if this could be pulled out of beta sometime too. It’s been an optional beta feature for a pretty long time, are there still problems with it?

Note that despite the staff response merged into this thread below, this is still a problem.

35 Likes

I wanted to install this plugin so I can load a basic bundle into studio to do animations on. When I search for this plugin in the toolbox, it doesn’t show up, I have to install it from the website. But when I click on the install button on the website, Roblox just shut down ALL of my studio instances without any warning! All the places were published so I didn’t lose any data, but they were still closed without explicit permission which is a huge UX problem

Never shut down a studio instance without permission from the user, even if all the data is saved

19 Likes

Good news, there is already a beta feature which is attempting to address this, if you don’t have it enabled please try it out:

5 Likes

I have the beta enabled but still got all studio windows forcibly shut down today :confused:
The previous weeks there haven’t been any problems, but for some reason today that happened

1 Like

Already had that enabled when they were all closed

1 Like

I had this beta feature enabled since its introduction and I never got any prompts as far as I remember. I’m not sure what it even looks like. There is no difference when I disable/enable it and it still force closes my studio sessions. Might have I missed some steps that I’m not aware of?

Bumping this because it’s still happening and it’s very annoying.

Note that despite the staff response above merged into this thread, the OP is still a problem.