Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

the fact that this post has more likes than the number of replies

3 Likes

Yeah that looks pretty acceptable for this policy.

1 Like

worst update in roblox’s history, get ratio’d.

3 Likes

If I wake up in 2014 - 2015 and this is all a bad dream, I don’t think I will be to mad.

3 Likes

I think it’s safe to asume that Roblox isn’t going to let us use their classic assets either? :cold_sweat:

1 Like

As far as we can tell, they don’t intend on removing classic assets from our inventories, only removing the ability to get new ones :sad:

3 Likes

You’ve decided to pause the rollout.
That’s the wrong answer. You should scrap the rollout entirely and sweep it far, far under the rug, like any sensible person.
Why do you guys not see that you are destroying your own platform? Why are you trying to fix things that aren’t broken?

I’ll be frank; if you’re not someone that has experience making content for roblox, you should not be allowed to make changes to the creative process. This is so… blindingly obvious to every other creator in the community, as made apparent in this thread.

This update genuinely feels malicious in nature. This is the kind of stuff that will mysteriously lead to a mass exodus of content creator from your platform. And to show that you still plan to go ahead with it later down the line is plain abhorrent.

This is not simply being tone-deaf to the community. It’s actively trying to harm the community. There’s simply no other way to put it.

EDIT: I understand there are potentially unavoidable problems happening behind the scenes that could be forcing your hands into pushing this update. But whatever it may be, why would the solution be to push this nonsense on everyone? Why not address the issue directly, and potentially be more transparent with the community about it? Why not run polls? Why actively do one of the things that could harm the platform the most? How do you think this update would affect the platform in the long term? This is so dumb and could’ve been avoided in SO many different ways, way before it would’ve had a chance to blow up like this…

17 Likes

I don’t think this terrible policy update would affect what players can wear when they enter an “experience”; It will only mess up developers and greatly limit what they can use in said experiences. Like, players can only try on and wear clothes that are on-sale and in stock, and for all we know, all Roblox assets won’t be allowed for anything else (NPCs, props, environment details, etc.).

If the update did remove anything vaguely “classic” from players’ inventories, it would anger many more people than just the developers that it will enrage if they even try to sneak this update out when they think we aren’t paying attention to our Studio notifications.

I personally don’t really find Roblox’s classic aesthetic that appealing (The basic, somewhat outdated, textured appearance of most gear meshes, not the classic beveled cylinder head and smile), so I don’t think much of my inventory would be affected, but I do use one of their official dynamic heads and body bundles, so I suppose that would still cause issues for me personally.

1 Like

Exactly this.

Roblox making contrarian decisions feels uncanny yet unsurprising at the same time. The amount of non-beneficial updates they’ve been pushing (or trying to push) have been quite crazy lately and it’s been going on for way too long.

They let copyrighted items get out of control here, and then chose one of the worst solutions possible for it.

8 Likes

Roblox is vying to do what every company does because they believe it will propel them on the track to success. However, what I don’t think Roblox realizes was that they’re unique platform was what brought them their success. They’re trying to fit in because they see that it’s a tried and true formula that has happened with nearly all successful companies. However, in doing so, they trade their lifeblood, or their loyal community.

Roblox is sitting here trying to be the metaverse, not realizing they already made the metaverse, likely before the term was even invented!

Roblox as a community is so large that there’s subcommunities within subcommunities within subcommunities. You can very much be whatever you want to be in theory. However, all these communities somewhat rely on each other in at least one way.

While I don’t think Roblox is INTENTIONALLY trying to destroy itself, they’re making plenty of moves that wouldn’t necessarily be good for the players, the developers, and the investors.

Hopefully they can redeem themselves for people who have lost faith in them already before it’s too late.

11 Likes

I generally don’t dig out old posts - but I noticed today that the same 100 calls per second has evidently expanded to My Inventory on the site. I saw this post and the Open Cloud Inventory API after making a post about it.

I have 25+ pages of models and packages, but can’t access more than 100 of my own inventory items (4 pages) at any given time, and it always shows the most recent items and nothing else. As you can imagine this significantly affects development.

1 Like

smile wil be going offsale most likely

1 Like

The issue stems from community dissonance, an unfortunate property which hundreds of companies have. This is the result of greed over morale, and it’s the worst possible thing for a creative workspace to commit to, especially a creative workspace directed towards children.

6 Likes

If Roblox genuinely goes forth with this after seeing the clear and prominent message being sent by the community then it’s official that we are nothing more than users than creators. Roblox’s downfall has already began, this will just progress it.

5 Likes

Yeah, but it’s not actually used in the default rig.

1 Like

It’s probably safer to use rbxasset://textures/face.png instead, since that’ll probably always be included with the client. (It does look lower-quality, though; I wish Roblox included more of the “common” textures and stuff locally so people could mod their copy of the client instead of 99% of assets being downloaded on the fly.)

1 Like

It kind of does this already. The collision sounds, such as rbxasset://sounds/stone3.ogg is still on the RCC. Even though it uses rbxasset, it still downloads from the server.

3 Likes

And at the same time this shows up in my reccomendations.

6 Likes

See those games?
some of those games will be gone bud.

due to this change ofc

2 Likes

Not some of those pretty high % most of those will be deleted, sadly. With that, those who make clothes, as many people on here do, that kinda helps us as clothing designers. And others do sometimes take ideas from those games as inspiration.

1 Like