Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

As many others have mentioned I really agree that this has to be clarified for Catalog preview based games, their entire point would be destroyed if it comes out like this.
In my opinion this should only apply to games that add Catalog on the side or to prevent having games allow u to wear anything for free ingame while serving no purpose to the gameplay.

29 Likes

Horrible change. The wording of this is incredibly non-specific and confusing. Does this include items and IP uploaded by Roblox? How would this affect games with character skins? There are a lot of unanswered questions here that you should have prepared for. This change seems half-baked and not very thought out. It should be up to the IP owner to strike infringing content from the platform. Allowing users to strike on behalf of others is mind-boggling, especially if there is an agreement between the UGC creator and the Experience creator.

100 Likes

How does this apply to NPCs within a game? What assets am I allowed to dress them with?

134 Likes

This is confusingā€¦ Why wouldnā€™t you be able to use Roblox items for your games?

88 Likes

I have a game where players can change their appearance to another player and Iā€™m still unsure if this is a problem or not

34 Likes

This gives more questions than answers. But Cool Thanks for the weeks heads up. sure people here can change everything their game might have in under a week.

33 Likes

So any place that allows gear breaks the policyā€¦ Body Swap Potion - Roblox

77 Likes

Why is it that when you are gearing to release a change that will negatively impact creators, your ability to communicate goes to hell?! Donā€™t you have a whole DevRel team??? What part of surprise announcing a platform-affecting change with ONE WEEK NOTICE and vague wording is actually a good idea? I promise you it pisses us off more if we discover the bad parts of the update later rather than sooner. Just tell us and avoid that strife.

We get it, you hate your developers, Roblox. Join the club with Unity.

107 Likes

Another daring step; continue giving creators the rights they deserve. Issues with IP in experiences can be a tough battle through emailing Roblox support, so instantiating that the playerā€™s property must be recognized is a great step.

28 Likes

Are we even allowed to use gear, since it comes from the marketplace?

Hereā€™s some genuine responses that are getting lost:

46 Likes

Wait. What about games like Catalog Avatar Creator. Are those getting removed?

38 Likes

Especially when we got an announcement covering the handling of DMCA requests recently that said Roblox will not take action on infringing content unless the IP owner themselves submit a DMCA takedown. This seems to entirely contradict that. Which one, Roblox?

One more thing I think we need clarified - because the wording is a bit vague - is how strictly this will be enforced. Lots of games use clothing and accessories from the marketplace for in-game NPCs, are those affected? Some parts of this post specify that itā€™s only for items users can equip, but others say items the ā€˜experience usesā€™? Iā€™m so confused.

65 Likes

Heavily disagree with this change here.

A current project of mine in development heavily relies on a in-experience based catalog and outfit loader of other players. That would instantaneously destroy a big fraction of a target audience I was intending to aim at.

Why do we need to prompt a purchase UI (assuming, the one of MarketplaceService) when a user tries on a piece? We already have a purchase button next to trying out and thatā€™s quite literally contradicting the concept of trying something out.

How will this effect outfit loaders? Say, if I charred into a user that happens to have a really old item from long time ago (& happens to be offsale!) and I donā€™t, would that be contradicting the ā€œPrevent items that are not available to purchase from being used in the experienceā€ terms?

We require a bit more information about this, especially with the first term. I still heavily disagree with the second term because we cannot control off-sale items on outfit loaders unless we reiterate through the assets which is an unnecessary stress on API calls.

Also, a week for preparation even is way too small. If you really want to respect your developers, this is not the way.

92 Likes

I guess, as long as you own it?

19 Likes

Iā€™m having trouble understanding this.

Iā€™m working on a clothing homestore for my group, and some of the outfits Iā€™ve made are designed to go with an accessory on the catalog. These outfits are displayed on mannequins with their corresponding accessory equipped.

As of now, theyā€™re only roblox-made ones. Iā€™d like to make outfits based on onsale UGC accessories in the future. According to this, if a user wants to try on the accessory, I would have show them a BUY NOW prompt even if they canā€™t or donā€™t want to. I donā€™t want the user to feel pressured into buying an accessory.

Unless Iā€™m misunderstanding, I cannot display offsale accessories in my homestore. I only have one offsale accessory in there, and it is only there to show the user what the outfit would look like with the accessory equipped.

I also plan on adding GFXā€™s into my homestore which might feature characters wearing offsale accessories, does that count as using offsale items too?

With all of that said, would my homestore be in violation of this policy? If so, it is nothing short of disappointing. If not, this is one of the most poorly worded policies Iā€™ve seen.

37 Likes

Issues with IP in experiences will continue to be a tough battle through emailing Roblox support if their policy on how this is enforced remains the same (which it most likely will considering we have only been given a week notice.)

If theyā€™re going to start enforcing IP rules properly, they need to either severely step up their support system or carve a new channel to go through specifically for handling these issues.

24 Likes

Is there a way UGC creators can opt in to allow everyone to use our items?

Iā€™ll put it in my profile that any creator has my permission to use my items in their experiences. But a toggle on our accounts that open our libraries to the community would help to give game devs an easy way of knowing what they can and canā€™t use.

52 Likes

TL;DR

In summary, Roblox is implementing new rules to ensure fairness and respect among its creators and users. These rules focus on how creators can use avatar Marketplace items in their experiences and games. Creators must prompt users to purchase these items and ensure they are only using items available for purchase. These changes take effect on September 27, and there are consequences for creators who donā€™t comply. Intellectual property owners are encouraged to report any infringement, and Roblox will take action against violators.

for clarification

So in order to use UGC items in game developers must provide a way for players to purchase said items and make sure they are not limited right?

23 Likes

Ruins all my experiences :((((

61 Likes

What happens if exploiters self-prompt items in our games and report us? Should we worry about that? lol

Will this only affect sever sided scripts? or local scripts too?
if so, maybe only allow 3rd party items to be prompted server side?

36 Likes