Exploiters are running rampant in my game

Hello, everyone!

My game has been overrun by exploiters gaining server-side access.
I’m experienced with client-server architecture and my remotes along with my scripts are all secure. I’ve checked every server script and client script to check for any vulnerabilities in my coding and have found nothing, note I’ve done this numerous times.

I’ve already located and removed a backdoor from a model in the game and already done the search for getfenv and require and nothing. I’ve removed all my plugins and reuploaded the game with a clean studio, checking my scripts again and still nothing.

I keep getting pointers in the wrong direction, nothing seems to be working and any assistance is much appreciated.
Thank you

4 Likes

What are the exploiters doing, exactly?

3 Likes

They have full access over my game and can do anything.

They’ve teleported players to a seperate game, played audios that I couldnt :Stop(), forced me to chat things (like :admin all) and it was really bizzare.

3 Likes

Do you use free models often? If so then that may be why. Anyways I am very sorry to hear, I know how stressful this can be.

2 Likes

From what you are describing it sounds like your game is backdoored. Try this script to get a list of all scripts in your game and find malicious ones:

for i,v in pairs(game:GetDescendants()) do
    pcall(function()
        if v.ClassName == "Script" then print(v:GetFullName()) end
    end)
end
7 Likes

Thanks, I’ve tried this and found nothing out of the ordinary and nothing I haven’t already written. Mind you I’ve also done a “Search All Scripts” for getfenv and require aforementioned.

1 Like

Other causes for this can be malicious plugins. If you have any plugins that aren’t absolutely necessary, verified (like by ROBLOX) or that are disabled, then please uninstall them.

1 Like

You should try using the Ro-Defender plugin by JetCrusherTorpedo, it gets rid of most backdoors and lua viruses, I’ve told someone to use Ro-Defender in their game, and it got rid of most viruses and backdoors, they still found some and got rid of them.

1 Like

I would like to mention that I’ve deleted my plugins directly from my inventory and removed them out of plugin management too but they keep showing up whenever I enter my games studio.

I’d delete them over and over again and they’d keep popping back up whenever I restart studio. Is this a bug? The plugins are fully functional even though I’ve deleted and removed them…

2 Likes

They may still be in your plugins folder.
Go in studio the tab Plugins -> Plugins Folder
or
Just go Plugins -> Manage plugins if you haven’t tried that already.

3 Likes

Empty! Nothing is in the plugins folder, quite strange but I’ll try to remove them again…

2 Likes

THere’s two directories - Plugins and InstalledPlugins

1 Like

Disable the plugins if you haven’t tried, try reinstalling studio if the problem persists.

2 Likes

Okay what worked for me was not just deleting them from the folder, but deleting them by clicking the red X in “Manage Plugins”. Otherwise I think the plugins get merged into some master plugins file and what’s listed in the plugins folder is just some copy… because I had the same experience - the plugins were still there even after deleting them from the InstalledPlugins folder.

3 Likes

I’ll definitely try to remove all the plugins, thank you
How would this actually work though? would removing my plugins remove any malicious code injected by said plugins?

2 Likes

You may have your game saved with the code, so you’ll still need to do a thorough scan and maybe check every script that’s listed for any code that’s not yours.

I had an issue with a tree model, that had a very sophisticated script trying to send my whole place to some http server using the HttpService. I didn’t notice it till I had 1000 copies of the tree in my place and the HttpService got throttled and thew errors.

I’m writing / creating a huge game, that I’ve already been working two months on, and would hate to just be giving it away like that.

1 Like

Have you considered that the backdoor may be embedded in one of your scripts? Plugins can edit the source of scripts so would be a good idea to search in every script (if you haven’t already done this).

1 Like

Id look for any scripts that have loadstring() in them, if it isnt yours Id suggest doing something with it.

1 Like

The plugins folder is for internal plugins and manually installed ones, while InstalledPlugins is automatically managed by the Manage Plugins window and corresponds to what you install from the website. The former is less likely to have any backdoor-based problems since it rarely gets used.

Just throwing this around in case there’s any confusion.

2 Likes

They’ve teleported players to a seperate game, played audios that I couldnt :Stop(), forced me to chat things (like :admin all) and it was really bizzare.

Have you inserted any “Admin Command Scripts” in your game? This sounds like the admin script may be vulnerable to exploits.

3 Likes