Explorer + Properties not updating whilst in Script Editor; Explorer search hanging

Reproduction Steps
Insert a script into your game. Enter the script editor. Try to expand an object in the Explorer or select the object. Repeat until you notice that the properties window is not updating, or, when expanding, no children of the expanded item are showing.

This has been happening in multiple places of mine. I have disabled all plugins, restarted Studio multiple times, restarted my computer multiple times. It is so far only happening on my M1 MacBook Pro.

System Info:

Beta Features:
Terrain quality of life changes
Pivot editor

Expected Behavior
When I am in the script editor and I click an object in the Explorer, the following should happen:

• The properties panel should update to show the properties of the newly-selected item
  • When the object is expanded to list children in the explorer, the children should be listed.

When I search in the Explorer search, results should appear near-instantly.

Actual Behavior
When I am in the script editor and I select an object in the Explorer, the properties panel does not update until I exit the script editor.

When I am in the script editor and I click the arrow to expand the object, the children of the object do not appear.

When I search for an object in the Explorer tab (regardless of whether I am in the script editor or not), the search usually hangs for a few seconds and does not immediately return results.

It doesn’t happen every single time, but very frequently.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-10-22 17:10:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-10-24 00:10:00 (+01:00)

8 Likes

I also have this problem, on M1 Macbook Air; MacOS 11.6

2 Likes

I am also experiencing this problem, I am on a M1 Macbook Pro, MacOS 11.6. In addition to the bugs mentioned above, I am experiencing very noticeable memory (up to 10000 MB) jumps whenever I play test repeatedly and also some issues with not all the text in the script editor showing up fully even when at the end of my horizontal scroll bar, like here (there is supposed to be a closing parentheses at the end of ServerNotify)

(Some stuff are cropped out for privacy reasons)

Almost all of this seems to have occurred with the most recent update.

1 Like

Currently having this issue on Windows, the explorer is only loading in play test, outside of play test it will not load. It loaded for a bit, before going completely blank. - Closing + reopening doesn’t work, only known way to fix it for me was to restart studio.

I have been experiencing this issue for the past 2 days, however today it appears to be partially resolved however there is still a large (~1 second delay) when selecting objects while in the script editor which is significantly higher and more noticeable then prior to this time period.

EDIT: Just experienced again with a new object I had added to the explorer since the game had last been saved / may just be coincidence but may help

Thank you for the report! We will have this investigated.

5 Likes

To add to this, script lines are also going out of view; even after the horizontal scroll is at its furthest position. I’m pretty sure this is linked to the same issues above.

2 Likes

We are experiencing similar issues with the Explorer window on Roblox Studio on Mac (Big Sur).

In addition to what’s mentioned, Select All doesn’t work in the Explorer filter search bar, which makes rapidly adding and clearing search terms difficult.

Hi, there have been a number of improvements to scripting performance since this was released. If someone is still experiencing this, please respond back to this thread. Thanks!