Explorer Visual Bug Due to Workspace Filtering

Reproduction Steps
Please refer to the actual behavior section.

System information

• Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX x570-E GAMING
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • OS Windows 10 Home version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Roblox Version 0.506.2.5060610

Note: for the “How frequently does this issue occur?” section, I put constantly since this is constantly reproducible. If that needs to be changed just let me know, :).

Repro.rbxl (33.2 KB)

Expected Behavior
I expect to be able to traverse the hierarchy as normal, and for instances that are being dragged and dropped to a new parent not appear to be copied to that new parent.

Actual Behavior
Instances with children are shown to have no children. For the instances affected, when they are drag and dropped to a new parent they appear to be copied over. This, however, is not actually the case. It is just visually represented as such.

Note this happens even if the instance is not being grouped. It seems to be if the parent changes in general that this bug occurs.

Workaround

• Duplicate the direct parent of all affected items and delete the old one (preferred).
  • Close and reopen the place (if you hate yourself).

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-12-17 02:12:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-12-17 00:12:00 (-05:00)

4 Likes

can you send a copyable place for testing so that i can check

Yep! I edited the original post to add one. Thank you!

im unable to produce the bug, i did the steps as mentioned, i guess you should change the "how often does this occur to moderately or something

here is the full video:

note: the parts where the mouse goes missing is where i had to manually insert the model

I see. You’re actually reproducing it wrong. The bug is due to using Workspace Filtering. It seems to be when the parent of something changes while you’re filtering it will break.

I had a friend reproduce this as well just in case, and yeah, it breaks for them as well. Thank you for trying to reproduce it though, :).

I was able to reproduce this consistently as well, super odd behavior.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

This is a fairly old bug, and apologies for not responding earlier, but I cannot reproduce this bug. Please post if you have another scenario that consistently reproduces the issue for you. We plan on making some huge refactors to the explorer in the coming year which will by nature fix this bug.

No issue at all :slight_smile: Unfortunately the original repro video seems to have stopped working, so I am unsure whether or not this is the original bug I posted about. But the video below shows what was potentially the bug:

Whenever searching for an instance in the explorer filter and inserting a new instance into an already expanded hierarchy (while in the filter), and then backing out of that search, the instance inserted seems to have never been inserted.

To fix this, you just need to open and close the hierarchy of the direct parent. This is different than the workaround noted previously. However, I’m not sure if this is because of a change, or because I just never tried this method previously.

1 Like

Aha, do you think you can file a new bug report for that? I think it’s different enough, and because it has a repro, it is certainly actionable.

1 Like