Expose the algorithms for easing styles

Right now if I want to make something move in the same way as an engine-level tween or animation, I have to actually run one in order to extract the result of the easing style in real time. This is obviously stupid. There should be a page on the wiki that describes the algorithms used by easing styles.

11 Likes

Could you provide some examples of what you are trying to do?

If you don’t want to create a tween you can use GetValue to calculate the value of a given easing function at some point in time.

1 Like

I specifically don’t want GetValue because the Lua-C interop is way, way, way slower than just multiplying some numbers in pure lua.

A major use case is tweening tables. If I want to tween a value in a table I have to use a lua algorithm.

Another major use case is running a custom animation processor. Roblox animations aren’t sophisticated enough for a lot of uses - they have no IK, only a few global layering modes, a global blending multiplier. If I want to make really high-quality, dynamic animations then I need to process the keyframesequence manually, which I need easing styles to do.

Edit: Just did a test with Cubic; GetValue is about 0.1x the speed of just multiplying. Also, running a tween/animation and then reading its properties is faster than GetValue, which is why I used that as the example of a bad pattern in the OP.

9 Likes