Expose the commit description to plugins (or the output)

Currently, when using collaborative scripting (drafts and commits), all commits made are logged in the script’s version history and print a message detailing who did the commit and on what script in the output.

This is great for team development, but it is not enough.

Currently, we use a custom made plugin to add Git VSC support in combination with Roblox’s collaboration system. It works great, except for the fact that there is no way to add a description to each commit without turning the workflow more clunky (by adding a custom widget to perform Git commits separately), since commit descriptions are not exposed.
We perform this Git VSC support currently by relying on LogService.MessageOut in studio, which, albeit a bit of a hacky way to go about it, has worked and is the only option due to a lack of commit event for plugins to make use of.

I understand that a commit event could be potentially time consuming to implement, which is why I believe having the commit reason be detailed in the output would be more benefitial short term.
Truth be told, it’d be useful either way even without Git, as it’d save time going and checking what was changed in the script or what the version history says.

This is a feature request for use of Roblox tools. I do realize we could use a different IDE and make use of something like Rojo, but we’d love to be able to continue using Roblox’s tools and workflow that we are used to.

1 Like

Roblox announced at RDC about them adding history for all changes made to the game, and I think it includes what player changed what and when.

I have to bump this because I would love to integrate my tooling for my developers and myself to know what has been changed to further help us debug stuff and making our workflow a lot easier. I do agree that this might take time, and I’m okay with it.

This can improve my workflow as I can look on what’s changed and to make sure everything is working good. I could also create tooling that will go directly to Github as a good version tooling. I basically see the same thing that MetatableIndex sees. I can answer questions or test if need be, thanks!