Expressive Output Window - Beta

With this Problem, we can‘t read a error message if we have a error! Actually i have a error in my plugin and it is pretty annoying that i cant read the error message. I find, that this can really be annoying if we are developing a game/plugin/Open-Source Module/…

1 Like

All these new updates and features are amazing Roblox! This too much for my smooth brain to handle! :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

that’s a very human-like output

Hi All - this week’s update includes support for vertical layout! Make the Expressive Output Window smaller and the headers will respond and shrink. You can also customize the visible columns to prioritize messages.

Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

4 Likes

Were any performance improvements made since release?

2 Likes

I appreciate the changes to allow us to hide certain columns – it makes things a lot better for us vertical users.

That said, I’m still going to be sticking to log mode for now because of how large the column on the far left is (the one with the colored symbols in it). It takes up a lot of valuable real estate for no real gain. For reference, here’s the layout of my output, with a couple message I entered as a test:

The Timestamp tab is as far left as it can go, and the Message tab is squeezed pretty close to it as well. Despite that, there’s a lot of space that I simply can’t use because of the colored symbol column.

Compared to Log Mode, where everything has more space to breath:

3 Likes

Yes, several, but they have not completely solved the issues seen with high-frequency print()s. We are committed to supporting this use case and will keep working on performance.

After pressing a few buttons in the consoles settings, you cant scale down the console less approximately 220 pixels. And ends up taking more space on the screen than before.

Also in the final version, i think we should have the option to change bewteen the expressive output, and the original one. As the expressive console can take up quite a bit of space for smaller screens

4 Likes

I’ve been using this for a while now. My biggest complaint right now is it’s slow. I get major performance slowdowns whenever I need to output a lot of information, regardless of how complex the information is. I’ve gotta switch back to the old version for now because it’s unusable for my current projects that require a lot of logging for the sake of debugging.

Outputting information should be a background task. It shouldn’t be causing framerate to drop.

Otherwise, I like where it’s going. Being able to filter things is nice.

6 Likes

I strongly agree. It even runs in the background while disabled, which means when this is enabled fully I won’t be able to make my own plugin that does the same thing but is much more optimised. Something really needs to be done about optimisation, it should’ve been top priority.

Some suggestions (that I’m using for my own plugin I plan to make):

• All UI elements ever used created on initialisation, including icons
  • A rendering system that only updates UI elements (by changing properties) which are in view of the scrolling frame, or closely outside
  • Re-render at fixed intervals (e.g. 1/60 or 1/30), if there are any changes (not on message outputted - no one checks output hundreds of times a second)
  • Don’t use Roact
1 Like

Any reason(s) for removing the columns? I find it harder to parse the output now. Now we have this weird middle ground between the old format (log mode, which seems to of been removed), and the new format.

The window appears to be a little broken now… Not sure if removing the columns was intentional but I’m disabling this for now since it leaves the output kinda messy. I’m sure this is gonna be fixed, but I just thought I’d post here.

Performance is also still a major issue, and these performance drawbacks are far too noticeable when the output fills up. Fingers are crossed that this particular issue is resolved before the output is out of beta.

I kind of like this new output window. However, my main problem with it is the excessive lag I get. I have a beefy computer, one capable of running some very powerful programs, and even I see upwards of 30fps lost simply because I decided to print some debugging info. I will not be using this feature for the foreseeable future, as the heavyweight, computationally intensive algorithms and scripts that I tend to run simply don’t function with this window.

1 Like

Today’s Studio release has a bunch of upgrades for the Expressive Output Window, most importantly fixes for all known performance issues! Details can be found here: [Beta Feature] Expressive Output Window Improvements

Give it a go and please let us know if any issues persist!

2 Likes

I was trying to manually set the PrimaryPart of a model and found that the Output Window canceled the action while navigating through it.

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I found a formatting error for tables (amazing feature, btw):

As you can see above, the [5] part is being printed to the far right instead of in-line. Seems to be some discrepancy between a non-displayable empty table and a table with displayable contents.

When printing identical things in the output it stacks using the (x4023). However, as long as these are visible in the output window it will cause increasing lagg for each new print added.
The video below went from 60 heartbeats per second to 9, and back up to 60 when I cleared the output window of the identical prints. Since the video doesn’t load for me I’ll put a link to gyfcat just in case.

The base plate is by default a locked part.
Make sure the property Locked is unticked first.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I would like to clarify this issues has nothing to do with the baseplate. I have not clicked anything within the view. I clicked the PrimaryPart in the properties and tried to move my mouse to the model. The Output Window automatically deselects my action without any input on my end (besides moving my mouse towards the Model within the view).

I recreated the scenario again in the latest version of studio, so indeed this still exists. An error in the output would deselect the action the mouse is doing while navigating through it.
You can replicate this by creating a script and having error(“Test”), then hovering your mouse over it when you are trying to set the PrimaryPart.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.