Expressive Output Window - Beta

Not sure what happened, but as of this morning, it appears that the expressive output window is mostly broken now.

@GeneralRelish if the team is in need of any system info or logs, feel free to have an engineer message me and I can provide them with any information they may need.

egnlY2Yd6f

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting! A fix for this will be available shortly after this week’s release. We’re still working on the column logic so please report any other weird behavior!

For everyone in the thread reporting performance concerns - we hear you! Most of our current effort is going towards performance improvements. We will get close to parity with the old output window but there will always be a small performance cost incurred for the ability to print and dynamically expand tables. We recognize that this may be an issue for some workflows (e.g. logging), so we’ve included a ‘Log Mode’ setting that removes table printing and retains performance parity with the old output.

5 Likes

After the latest update the output widget displays incorrectly:

Log Mode not enabled,

^ notice the columnar string of letters towards the right

Is this some sort of bug? I just opened the widget (docked to the right) and printed something.

The Log Mode feature is cool though.

Edit:

The mouse also seems to get stuck to the scrollbar occasionally, effectively preventing any input in Studio at all - might post a bug report when I get more details about its reproduction.

6 Likes

Looks like a combination of things - your Context column is word-wrapping but the column is really narrow so you get the string of letters. And the headers have disconnected so you can’t adjust. Bad, but we should have fixes for everything rolling out soon.

Please file a bug for the mouse-on-scollbar behavior if you can reproduce it. This sounds new and unfortunate. :smile:

3 Likes

This is also happening to my friend and I.

1 Like

This issue is happening to everyone on our dev team as well following todays update. The Expressive output window is now unusable and we have all been forced to disable it.

3 Likes

This is a known issue that will be fixed in the following release. Until then we regret that switching to the log mode is the best alternative.

2 Likes

You think you got it bad… my output window is way worse. Most of the columns are squished infinity to the right, and I can’t get them out. Any help?

5 Likes

I know how to fix this. Are you on Log Mode? If not, go to the top right corner button (the one with three dots) and press it, then click Log Mode.

1 Like

Log Mode is on now, but it looks more like the old output window now. Theres no columns at all now, it’s this:

I guessed it’s better now. Thanks for your help!

4 Likes

You can resize each column.

…

1 Like

This doesnt work for dictionaries? It only shows the last entry.
Try do:

print({ClassName = "Hey", Class = "Look", Classn = "it", Value = "works", Not = "not"})

Result:

3 Likes

I tried to resize them, but the bars to resize columns are so far to the right, they don’t respond when I try to resize them.

3 Likes

An update was pushed now, I hope that fixed it as it’s sooo annoying.

Edit: nope.

1 Like

Expressive Output Window is getting WORST! What is happening?

5 Likes

Really like this feature but is buggy

(context/source is squished)
i cant move/fix it at all
disabling/enabling it doesn’t fix it
just need a way to reset it back to default

6 Likes

It was pretty RIP before also, when they removed support for private modules. So I guess double-RIP?

RIP-RIP

Why would it be a private module? It’s open source and I used to use it all the time.

Regardless, it’s pretty done with for sure now.

2 Likes

Bugs and scaling issues that have been addressed aside, I can’t stand it for the following reasons:

• Much worse performance - printing recursively and recursive errors freeze or significantly lag studio.
  • Bulky, wasteful, unintuitive UI that is inconsistent with the rest of studio
3 Likes

local repr = require(3148021300)
local myTable = {
hello = “world”;
score = 5;
isCool = true;
}
print(repr(myTable)) → {hello = “world”, isCool = true, score = 5

True.

But the example he had on the post was that.

But yeah, he probably released it