Extend the friend limit

EDIT: Glad to announce that Roblox will be extending the friend limit to 1,000 over the next 6 to 8 months, by increments of 100 each month :fire:

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to maintain a solid network of friends with the 200 friend limit, developers and players often must resort to unfriending friends to add new ones, which can become a challenge when you would prefer not to unfriend others.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to expand my network of connections and friends, encouraging collaboration and overall being able to befriend more people would be of benefit to all players on the platform.

66 Likes

I believe it would be very reasonable to do this as Roblox changed it from Unlimited to 200 Friends in February 2015, back then there were 28 Million Accounts with a frequency of 1 account every second. Nowadays Roblox has over 5.3 Billion Accounts with a frequency of ~30 accounts every second.

An increased friend limit is therefore overdue as I am sure many social people or even Business Affiliates and Developers meet x10 the amount of the Limit. They also increased the “Blocked Users” Limit so I do not see a difference with increasing Friend [but also Outfit] Limits.

21 Likes

From what I heard, it is impossible for Roblox to do this since the coding of the website is too unstable due too how old and how badly written it is. I’ve heard that from Kreekcraft (might maybe misunderstood it).

10 Likes

I agree on raising the friend limit for everyone, it would be very convenient to be able to add more people instead of unfriending old ones for more room every single time.

11 Likes

Definitely, I do see that there could be potential technical complications, however I believe it would definitely be worth increasing it, even if it is by a minor amount (i.e 50), it would be very beneficial to players and developers.

7 Likes

Then that is something Roblox should put priority on, you cannot be a multi-billion dollar company and still fail to be able to edit your own website. This is probably the most inconvenient thing you could condemn as a CEO or any high ranking Manager at such a huge company.

10 Likes

The friend limit was a stupid idea to begin with, and generally most limits, like why are you capping off how much friends, blocked users, outfits when it doesn’t do any major impact. If all these services were uncapped, everything would just be so much easier.

6 Likes

Especially Outfits [which are completely private] do not make sense to be capped. Okay let us say you want to cap them to prevent spam outfits whatsoever: It still does not make sense to integrate a whole new Catalog System [UGC] and still keep the same Limits as when it did not exist. I do not want to know by what number the number of items multiplied since UGC was introduced to Roblox.

9 Likes

A solid network of over 200 friends is absolute maniac. I would recommend taking a good look at this Wikipedia article before saying something.

Please, please don’t believe whatever youtubers say. They have no idea how backend works and the website is just fine. There’s no such thing as “old” or “badly-written” as 99% of most code is refactored eventually. The only reason people believe this is because the site has problems which are usually related to issues due to upscaling.

15 Likes

You can network and know a lot of people, typically you wouldn’t be entirely friends with all 200 of the people you have added, but you would be acquainted with them and potentially working with them. I know for a fact that there is a lot more than 200 people that I am in contact with and who I will talk with every now and then. It is entirely possible and likely to have a circle of more than 200 people, both in a professional and a personal sense and it would honestly be a huge help either way to have an extended limit.

Take a look at platforms like Instagram, Discord, Twitter, etc, these platforms would be essentially useless if you were to have that low of a limit on how many people you can communicate with on platform, on Roblox it’s a very similar case, where it is ridiculous to need to unfriend people simply to have an additional friend, and with a lot of people, even if you don’t actively maintain communication with someone, you still would prefer not to unfriend them. Discord has a limit of 1,000 friends, which is more than enough for most people, however I have a solid 600 people added on Discord, with a large percentage of those people coming from Roblox, and many who I would like to have friended on Roblox however I need to be more picky with who I friend and often resolve to clearing out my friends list just to make sure I am going to be able to add people.

Having an increased limit would significantly help this, even a smaller increase of ~50 additional spaces would still come in handy, ideally a 400 to 500 friend limit would be the best, however that could definitely be a lot harder to maintain/implement.

11 Likes

You’d cry if you saw the things you find if you ever get a job as a software engineer.

8 Likes

Agreeing with @Zenuux here, due to how roblox did a lot of stuff with the servers and the amount of people on roblox, changing it would simply just crash roblox with the amount of data that would change and with over 200 friends thats even more data they than have to save and long story short changing it would probably crash roblox and I dont think anyone wants to deal with that

2 Likes

No offence, but I feel like making a point based on an argument that has not yet been proven as true isn’t exactly a great reason for this to not be a thing. For all we know, changing this number could be as simple as changing a single value; there is no way to know how friends are implemented server-side. We should rather focus on facts that we know are true and leave technical implementations to staff. Even if there are issues with implementing this, if enough people show support to this feature request, changes may be made to make it possible to implement.

9 Likes

if ur source is kreekcraft you may as well of not said it at all

5 Likes

I disagree, You will forget more friends, There is a thing called “Dunbar’s Number” which mentions that an average person can have 150 friends, like why do you need a ton of friends

Roblox and these platforms listed are different things, Roblox is a gaming platform, These platforms are social communication platforms

If you have a ton of developers working on a game inside a user’s account, then It would’ve been better if you put it in a group

A lot of developers work on group experiences yet still friend their developers for multiple reasons (easily joining them in a server, privacy settings, etc.)

It’s also worth noting that Roblox friends aren’t really ‘friends’, generally it’s a lot of professional connections so “Dunbar’s Number” doesn’t necessarily apply, a lot of people work with a lot of co-workers as well as having a lot of friends and that is what this feature request seeks to address.

I’d like to disagree, my friend list is very similar between Discord and Roblox, those that I talk to on Discord, I generally consider friends and would prefer to friend them on Roblox for easy joining.

3 Likes

I have a cousin that friended strangers until I told him

Right now, you just have 199 friends as of writing this, so I would disagree with your point of view as you have a ton

Are you saying that you can communicate on roblox without any filter whatsoever? [I know roblox added the ability to swear in 17+ games], In discord, you can say anything without getting a single word filtered, but in roblox, there is a filter for safety reasons

And yet you assume that I don’t talk to most people on this list or, at the very least, still have communication with them. Most of the users on my friend list are co-workers.

3 Likes

There is no such thing as “impossible” in software engineering, anything is possible with infinite engineering time, effort and priority. So mentioning this is not really meaningful. The technical limitations might be hard to overcome and take a lot of engineering time. What they actually meant is likely “we can’t justify investing the cost compared to other projects at the moment”.

6 Likes

It would take a very long time to recode everything.

1 Like