Extremely High RAM Usage (Over 1 GB!)

RAM is still not your issue.

That’s just silly. You should be doing that. Because you could easily find out that RAM usage is not causing lag.

You should be using the Microprofiler to find out which process in the Roblox system is eating and consuming a system’s resources. The RAM itself will give you no help and is not a clue of anything and will only waste your time.

The microprofiler can help determine what Roblox Job (for rendering, processing, post-processing, etc) is causing lag in your map. If you post your Microprofiler results during FPS drops we can investigate that instead and it will guarantee the issue you are having to be identifiable.

Here’s an example of what sort of data you could be actually reviewing that is specific to your issue with the Roblox Microprofiler

Well, here is what I see:

At the moment, there isn’t anything off about that because the frames show consistent processing (below).

The profiler helps identify bottlenecks. You’d have to try recording during a lag spike to determine what is causing the lag spike.

Unfortunately, the game always lags, not just spikes. What you see there is all that I can really provide :confused:

Maybe the full info right there could help a bit?

Edit: Yikes, Lua Heap at 200M+

There’s a few things that could be causing this:

A - Your game has a virus in it, either using a ton of loops or messing around with the game causing that. If any of your scripts or local scripts has “Last synced with RoSync” then this is your issue with the Client Memory Usage.

B - Your physical game has an issue (could be malware, anything), and your pc doesn’t like it. Ensure your on the latest windows update and try fully installing roblox again (fresh install), ensuring your uninstalling the previous version before.

C - Check your plugins too, could be one of them.

1 Like

That’s a normal value for the Lua heap.

I’m not able to replicate lag in your game. Is there something I can do to make it lag? You say it always lags but I joined and played for about 15 minutes with no game lag. FPS was stable.

1 Like

I checked out your game on both mobile and PC, didn’t experience any sort of lag or lag spikes.

Have you tried following up with the players of your game to determine what device they were on? I think you’re kind of taking these bug reports at their face value. For future reference I would recommend having a higher standard of reporting bugs with more in-depth descriptions.

1 Like

I searched through, that cannot be the case.

It’s an issue for all mobile players. I do not have lag on my end.

It’s not, fortunately. My plugins are either from reputable sources, or made by myself.

cc: @Semistare

It has to do with the device, I believe. Whenever I playtest the game, I can see some users lag so terribly that their character moves slow. When I ask what device they are on, they say “mobile,” but when I try to specify, I don’t get any sort of clear answer (sometimes just being ignored, sometimes jibberish), which is extremely frustrating.

I do have a high standard for bug reports, but alas, players from Infinite Autocorrect seem to not really follow it. I’ll be implementing a bot soon that requires a user to provide more detail, but in the meantime, I’m not quite sure what’s up.

To put it into comparison, none of my other games have this sort of issue, including No-Scope Sniping, What’s The Word, Pistol 1v1, Swift Hightail, and others. To further complicate it, Infinite Autocorrect seems to have no untracked memory, when a couple of the others do. The only difference I see is a much higher RAM usage, compared to my other projects.

2 Likes

This kind of points to it being a problem specific to your game, but we kind of already knew that. I’d love if you could follow up with me via private message after you change how players can report bugs. I don’t necessarily think this is a problem on Roblox’s end just because of how generalized this whole situation is.

2 Likes

Yea, it’s definitely something wrong on my end, in terms of how I set up the code and such.

1 Like

People have different devices. A budget android phone won’t run as well as an iPhone. I have a budget device I’ll test your game. Still, there’s nothing wrong. Most people have bad devices and that’s just it. Unless you have a more recent iPad or iPhone the chances of you running Roblox well are… Depends… You might be able to run a baseplate at max.

I actually thought this too until I played it on my phone (iPhone XR) and got massive lag spikes.

https://streamable.com/oz33pj

2 Likes

I tried it on mine and that was true. But ram usage isn’t even a thing, like it runs FINE. Even if I’m using my android with 4gb of ram. These lag spikes have more to do with CPU Use, but still mobile devices are pretty unstable sometimes.

2 Likes

Kind of leans into my previous response:

Even 700 mb is ok for a mobile device. Even with an unoptimized phone with 4gb of ram. Any device with less than 2 gb of ram, don’t even try “optimizing”.

I think roblox already fixed the problem or something with roblox having outdated code has something to do with that because i remember my game having over 1gb and now its only 600 mb!

Baseplates have 800 mb, and if you look at pet sim they use 2000 MB, I also found that it depends on your ping as well

3 years later this man still responds, what a legend.

1 Like

I loved that game! Played it a bunch a couple years ago!

I actually had an idea to make a game inspired by this one, but with some of the elements from Zach’s Service Station, that takes place in a Realistic Office. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you have any scripts running in game?

This honestly seems like normal memory usage to me, it could be that Roblox simply allocated a lot of memory on the heap to prepare for it to be used but that’s just my theory on it.

I think Roblox reserves a lot of memory for later use.
Though, it would also be helpful if you provided some info about your PC specs.

This shouldn’t be an issue on mobile I think, Roblox likely just looks at your total system memory and sees what it can use, it might be way less on mobile.

Edit:

Roblox also uses like 1 gb for me on an empty baseplate.
It might actually be normal memory usage.

My PC also has 64 gb of RAM and 12 gb VRAM so I think Roblox sees that and just decides to allocate/prepare the memory that it feels like it’s about to use.

1 Like