14 programming classes
Technical Writing
2 science electives
Public Speaking

Classes that I don’t want to have to pay to take:

2 “Composition” classes
4 History classes
2 reading classes (wtf?)
Technology in the real world (watched some lectures of this type of course online, and was not amused. Colleges have to get curriculum approved, so the “real world” was the real world 20 years ago apparently)

(9 total)

I was considering making up my own degree and taking classes for that. I mean, getting a degree in CS is great and all, but ultimately, I can be putting that mini house mortgage of an education to better use by taking classes that actually matter. I would LOVE to take multiple physics/astronomy classes, some business management courses, etc instead of taking these ridiculous “write me a 10-page essay so I don’t have to assign you anything else for the next month”, “Understanding American Literature”(don’t know – don’t care), etc classes.

As a professional corporation, would you hire someone without a degree in CS, but had a wrapsheet with those classes on them? How likely am I to get a job if I do this? Is it a smart idea to begin with, or should I go through those silly classes?

New Zealand’s university system is so much better.

Elaborate plz – I’m interested.

It’s quite complicated if you don’t understand how the high schooling system works, but essentially you only have to complete English and a few more subjects at the uni’s standard before you can apply. Once you get in, you can choose whatever subjects you like, provided that you have done the provided studies and requirements at high school.

If you really wanted, you could just take computer science.

Well, that’s the way I see it. If you want more info and stuff, talk to Vorlias (If you can get a hold of him).

2 Likes

A liberal arts education is important to being a well-rounded person. Don’t pass up on it because you don’t feel like taking subjects that aren’t directly linked to your major.

Problem is, I’m better with grammar/reading/writing than your average adult. The only time I’ll be writing, it’ll be a technical report, which I listed as an important class above. Otherwise, those classes are useless to me. I can be taking classes that are of more use to me than reading American/British Literature, going through the same two Spanish classes I did in high school, and learning how to write books.

I’ve made my decision – physics and business management are a hell of a lot more useful to me than those liberal arts classes. Even if I did take them, I’m not a type of person suited for them. That information will flow like water through my brain, and I can say with 100% confidence that I will forget everything I “learned” in those classes and be back at square one by the time I get out of college.

[quote] Problem is, I’m better with grammar/reading/writing than your average adult. The only time I’ll be writing, it’ll be a technical report, which I listed as an important class above. Otherwise, those classes are useless to me. I can be taking classes that are of more use to me than reading American/British Literature, going through the same two Spanish classes I did in high school, and learning how to write books.

I’ve made my decision – physics and business management are a hell of a lot more useful to me than those liberal arts classes. Even if I did take them, I’m not a type of person suited for them. That information will flow like water through my brain, and I can say with 100% confidence that I will forget everything I “learned” in those classes and be back at square one by the time I get out of college. [/quote]

I’m going to college for the same thing currently, and I’m in the same boat as you (Not wanting to take gen-ed classes). I was half-considering going from my bachelors to an associates and getting a ton of computer-related certifications (But I didn’t, considering that my college is paid for, since I have a full-ride scholarship).

However, since I am in the computer business (And I work as a contractor for some big name companies in Chicago), they will never hire someone without a bachelors. The reason that they do this is because you will eventually use those gen-ed classes later on (Math, writing, statistics, history etc.) They do this for the sole purpose of making you a well-rounded individual.

So yeah, if you make up your own degree, you will never get a job, just because you skipped out on the gen-ed classes, and corporations want people who are well-rounded.

Yep – Becky said ROBLOX only takes candidates with at least a BS for being hired.

Also, I know math, writing, etc is important – that’s why I listed math and technical writing as important classes. Understanding American/British literature does not help me one bit. Taking book-writing classes will help me… become a smarty-pants auto-reply robot-like noob. History classes will… make me wish Hitler killed History teachers instead.

Oh you poor Americans with you’re weird, confusing and variety and content heavy courses.

1 Like

Bro, don’t go insulting other folks’ countries. I love the USA and I’m offended.

1 Like

@Davidii: I live in USA and I hate it

Bro, don’t go insulting other folks’ countries. I love the USA and I’m offended.[/quote]

…Offended? Are you serious?
I’m more offended that you’re offended by a simple little meaningless joke.

Also I was ‘insulting’ [size=2](if that’s how you want to put it)[/size] the American college system …not the country…

Well I know(For a fact now) you don’t need a BS to be a good programmer. Google has started to hire people without College degrees and it’s getting more popular.

Now, I do believe in a school for programming of sorts, but English and other(I’ll admit not useless but not needed skills) are just pointless.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]T24DPU-hkJM

Our systems architect has a degree in Philosophy, so I wouldn’t say it is required.

If you are looking for an entry level videogame development position the thing that is going to help you the most by far is a portfolio of cool stuff that you have made.

That being said, it matters which school you go to and what you study there. Recruiters look at a ton of resumes and graduates from top engineering programs (Stanford, MIT, IIT, Waterloo, Berkeley, CMU, etc) end up in the short pile. If you’re not attending a top school, an amazing portfolio is even more necessary.

That’s what I’ve seen anyways. ROBLOX is more selective about hiring than a lot of larger, more established companies.

1 Like

[quote] Our systems architect has a degree in Philosophy, so I wouldn’t say it is required.

If you are looking for an entry level videogame development position the thing that is going to help you the most by far is a portfolio of cool stuff that you have made.

That being said, it matters which school you go to and what you study there. Recruiters look at a ton of resumes and graduates from top engineering programs (Stanford, MIT, IIT, Waterloo, Berkeley, CMU, etc) end up in the short pile. If you’re not attending a top school, an amazing portfolio is even more necessary.

That’s what I’ve seen anyways. ROBLOX is more selective about hiring than a lot of larger, more established companies. [/quote]

Portfolios are my best friend at this point. Taylor University has a good comp. sci program, but they aren’t super well-known.

Portfolios…

Another thing made 100 times easier by ROBLOX :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote] Portfolios…

Another thing made 100 times easier by ROBLOX :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

You’ll probably be better off making portfolio content outside of ROBLOX if you want to be hired by them; if you show experience in platforms like Unity, it will show people that you understand ‘real-world’ programming and can implement ideas in elegant, simple ways.

The Scottish education system is a lot simpler than the American one too :c

History Classes are also important for your understanding how we became the world that we are today…
Personally I find it really irrating when people ask : ‘Why did you pick history ? You don’t learn anything at History.’

OT : All the above ‘Classes’ seem important to me. I agree that you need to do Math, Programming, etc. Be aware that Programming isn’t in depth really in most schools. Thumbs up that you picked ‘Public Speaking.’ Most Developers are afraid of the ‘public speaking’. If you can present yourself (or your idea) then you already have 50% done.