Failed to connect to game error code ID = 17 Error code 279

Issue Type: Connectivity
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2021-05-03 00:05:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-05-05 00:05:00 (-04:00)

Reproduction Steps:
Hi, I’m currently getting a significant amount of reports related to my game Split.

Whenever I migrate to the latest update users complain about being unable to join. This does not happen every time for every user, but it does seem to affect a significant portion of players.

I unfortunately don’t have much more to report as it errors out before the game is loaded. Usually if you wait about 5 minutes after a migration and try again you’re able to join.

Expected Behavior:
I expect during a migrate to the latest update that old servers are gradually shut down and players are moved into new ones.

There should not be as significant a disconnection rate in this process as I’m currently seeing.

Actual Behavior:
A significant portion of users get the above error code when moving to a new server. The issue persists even if they try to join other servers for approximately 5 minutes until the migration is over.

Workaround:

14 Likes

This issue seems to be with mobile only. Upon joining on computer everything works fine, upon joining on mobile I seem to get this.

This was happening last night when I attempted to join on mobile.

2 Likes

Issue is persisting on PC, not mobile.

7 Likes

I have the same issue with the lastest version of iOS

1 Like

ID=17 is really annoying even tho I try and sort it out still won’t work well it’s driving me insane

4 Likes

This is why i put DNS to bypass that error as usually it does but it’s not how it works

DNS reduces ping in my term

1 Like

Why am I getting this in Studio with “Start Server and 2 Players”?

Multiple devices can connect to my game normally but “Start Server and Players” functionality is lost

1 Like

Can I bump this thread. I’m getting this issue too. It appears to occur when players join the game. It usually crashes the entire server too.

1 Like

Happens on mobile too for me, and it doesn’t only effect one game.

1 Like

This bug is happening on my testing game, unrelated to “Migrate to latest version”. It’s happening on PC for me. It throws the error 99% of the time when I try to join. It then leaves a ghost server in the server list. Screenshots of both the error and the ghost server attached.

2 Likes

It’s been a few months since this topic was created and still seems to be a constant issue. ‘Migrate to latest version’ with its current bugs seems to be more disruptive than if I were to shut down all servers in the first place since players are unable to connect for the first 5 - 10 minutes of the update anyway.

I end up losing some players since they think the game breaks every time I update and makes it quite scary every time I need to shutdown for content updates.

1 Like

This error also happens when server crashes.

1 Like

We’ve been plagued with this bug all weekend. One particular reserved server became totally unavailable until we shut down all our servers. Would be great to get to the bottom of it.

1 Like

Happened to me in Jailbreak

Duplicated Post: Unclear singular experience player drop from cause "ID=17. Connection attempt failed."

1 Like

This bug seems to be happening again. This time I’ve tried from 3 devices (2 mobile, 1 laptop) and none of them seems to work at all. Tried using everything (VPN as such) but did not work.

3 Likes

I don’t think you CAN play ROBLOX with a VPN. Take it from me, who’s using a proxy because his Wi-Fi is garbage.

1 Like

Recently, my game began experiencing issues after we implemented a lobby system that serves as a starting point and teleports players to the appropriate place. The server remains open for only a brief period, allowing players to be teleported. It appears that players attempting to join the game are being directed to servers that are in the process of shutting down, resulting in the error.

4 Likes

2023, Here I’m getting this error everywhere, I can’t play roblox anymore.

5 Likes

The issue seems to have been resolved, I’m not getting the error anymore!

What did you do to resolve the issue? or did it fix itself?