Failed to connect to the game. (ID = 17: Connection attempt failed) Error code: 279

I have a massive unknown issue that causes a connection loss, and sometimes the id 17 error. I have looked everywhere and asked in other areas, but no one knows why. It’s frustrating to continue something I’ve always wanted to do if it’s only going to be unplayable. I was aiming for a true realistic open world game, something that doesn’t exist in roblox currently, there’s only low poly games that have large maps, or realistic showcases but their maps are extremely small, I wanted to combine them both.

It’s been uncopylocked (until the issue has been resolved) so you can take a look at the interior of its extreme sized city. just be warned, you need a high end PC or set your editor quality to level 1-5 so you don’t crash your PC, mine can handle level 21, but it appears roblox itself cannot.
The game link this post is about: Roblox's Most Unoptimized Game - Roblox
Screenshot 2023-09-12 003412
Screenshot 2023-09-12 003439

The game I am working on that’s on a pause because of this issue: {Unstable} Infinity//Solitary - Roblox

2 Likes

Here is a full detailed video showcasing the comparison of Testing the game in studio and Testing the game in roblox itself. https://youtu.be/8ge99PVXGrU
To summarize: it works completely fine in studio, no issues, while on roblox itself it doesn’t at all.

1 Like

As far as I know, It could be possible that the Roblox server itself isn’t capable of handling huge amounts of objects, your client connection is stable and your device is strong enough to render the objects but the server might have trouble synchronizing every object due to the high amount of assets needed to load, this may cause lag spikes on the server and connection instability between client and server. In the client’s perspective, it looks smooth with no FPS drops. But the ping might be high on the server causing high latency which causes delays.

Running games in studio and in Roblox itself is different. Running the game in studio takes your device as both client and server so the ping is measured by the process inside the CPU, while running on Roblox takes an actual communication between client and server with different IP addresses which is heavier.

Though, I’m unsure what the problem actually is since my device is incapable of running the place in studio or the published experience itself (I crashed). I only analyzed based on the YouTube recording, it’ll be much better if you also tested some prompts inside the experience while you are testing in Roblox and also having performance stats enabled so people could see much better activity in the internal.

I recommend using Instance Streaming to maybe help reduce connection instability since the client won’t have to load the entire workspace once they join.

1 Like

I have already found the issue, its stated clear as day in your game description.

This will be Roblox’s biggest Realistic Map, almost as if it’s GTA6

Roblox does not have unlimited resources. You creating an absolutely massive map is going to destroy your servers, especially if you don’t have some sort of chunk loading system in place.

The reason you are disconnecting is because your map is too big

2 Likes

Some experiences’ maps are a lot bigger than mine though, (a lot of the driving games) which is why I do not understand and is trying to research how they were able to create such large maps. Took advice from this post to try to create a good open world map too, I feel like one should not have to create multiple experiences as worlds like world // zero did, it separates the players and kills some stuff in exploration terms.

Yes, however there are a few non-realistic games that have extremely large maps can run perfectly fine as well, so something is miss

• Genshin impact
  • Zelda tears of the kingdom
    a most popular roblox game is Vehicle Legends, to name a few